How Do You Solve for 'a' in the Equation s = v0t + .5at^2?

So, to solve for a, you would need to divide both sides by .5, giving you a = (s - v0t)/.5. In summary, to solve for a in the equation s = v0t + .5at^2, you need to divide both sides by .5, giving you a = (s - v0t)/.5.
BuhRock
1. s = v0t + .5at^2 , solve for a

2. I don't know any

3. I don't know where to begin. I was thinking that you divide .5 from a to make it s/.5 = v0(t) + at^2.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look how "a" is used:

s = v0t + .5at^2 , solve for a.

See where it is. What is the first thing done to a? What is the next thing done to a? What else has been done to "a"? Take in reverse order, and undo each of those steps.

Initially, a is just a. See that the first thing done was (0.5t^2) factor was applied to a. What was done next? Anything else? Just reverse the whole process, and do this to BOTH sides of the equation.

BuhRock said:
1. s = v0t + .5at^2 , solve for a

2. I don't know any

3. I don't know where to begin. I was thinking that you divide .5 from a to make it s/.5 = v0(t) + at^2.
You divided the left side by .5, but you only divided one term on the right by .5. With operations like division and multiplication, you have to apply them to both sides, not just a single term on one side.

Related to How Do You Solve for 'a' in the Equation s = v0t + .5at^2?

What is "solving for specific variable"?

"Solving for specific variable" is a mathematical process where a specific variable in an equation is isolated and its value is determined. This helps in finding the value of that variable in different equations and can be useful in solving complex problems.

Why is it important to solve for specific variables?

Solving for specific variables allows us to find the value of a particular variable in an equation, which can help in solving problems and understanding relationships between different variables. It also helps in simplifying equations and making them easier to work with.

What are the steps for solving for specific variables?

The steps for solving for specific variables involve isolating the variable by using inverse operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, to eliminate any other terms on the same side of the equation. The goal is to get the variable on one side of the equation and all the constants on the other side. Once isolated, the variable's value can be determined.

Can you solve for more than one variable in an equation?

Yes, it is possible to solve for more than one variable in an equation. This is known as solving a system of equations. In a system of equations, there are multiple equations with multiple variables, and by using methods such as substitution or elimination, the values of all the variables can be determined.

How can solving for specific variables be applied in real life?

Solving for specific variables can be applied in various fields, such as science, engineering, and economics, to solve complex problems and make predictions. For example, it can be used to calculate the trajectory of a projectile, determine the amount of medication needed for a patient, or analyze the relationship between different economic factors.