How Do You Solve a Frictionless Pulley System Problem?

In summary, a light rope is attached to a 4.00 kg block on a frictionless, horizontal surface. The rope passes over a frictionless, massless pulley and a block with unknown mass m is suspended from the other end. When released, the tension in the rope is 10.0N. Using the equation ƩF=ma, the acceleration of either block can be found. The correct answer for the mass of m is 1.37kg. However, the attempt at solving the problem was inconsistent in the choice of directions and the free body diagram needs to be rechecked. The blocks are accelerating on two different axis, which is not correct.
Yosty22

Homework Statement

A light rope is attached to a block with mass 4.00 kg that rests on a frictionless, horizontal surface. The horizontal rope passes over a frictionless, massless pulley, and a block with mass m is suspended from the other end. When the blocks are released, the tension in the rope is 10.0N.
a.What is the acceleration of either block?
c.Find the mass m of the hanging block.

Homework Equations

ƩF=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at solving the problem is attached. Can someone tell me where I went wrong?
(It got cut off at the bottom, it just says that my answer of 0.813kg is wrong, but I don't know why. THE CORRECT ANSWER IS: m=1.37kg

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, My attempt at the solution is now attached.

Attachments

• HELP.pdf
    151.1 KB · Views: 600
You've been inconsistent in your choice of directions. Which way is the mass m accelerating?

Recheck your free body diagram. Where are the blocks accelerating? Specifically, on what axis as I am seeing two different axis here and that is not correct.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see haruspex's post when I responded, I did the same problem.

)

Hello, thank you for presenting your solution attempt. I can see that you have correctly set up the equation ƩF=ma and identified the tension in the rope as the only force acting on the blocks. However, it seems that you have made a mistake in your calculation for the acceleration. Instead of dividing the tension by the mass of the block attached to the rope, you should be dividing by the total mass of the system (4.00kg + m). This will give you an acceleration of 2.5 m/s^2.

Next, to find the mass m of the hanging block, you can use the same equation ƩF=ma and substitute in the known values for the tension and acceleration. This will give you the equation 10.0N = (4.00kg + m)(2.5m/s^2). Solving for m will give you the correct answer of 1.37kg.

Overall, your approach was correct, but you just made a small error in your calculation. Keep up the good work!

Related to How Do You Solve a Frictionless Pulley System Problem?

1. What is a massless pulley?

A massless pulley is a hypothetical device that is used in physics problems to simplify calculations. It is assumed to have no mass and no friction, so it does not affect the tension or motion of the rope or string wrapped around it.

2. How is a massless pulley problem solved?

A massless pulley problem is solved using Newton's laws of motion, specifically the laws of equilibrium and conservation of energy. The key to solving these problems is to correctly identify all the forces acting on the system and to use the appropriate equations to find the desired variables.

3. What are some common examples of massless pulley problems?

Some common examples of massless pulley problems include a block being pulled up a ramp by a rope passing over a pulley at the top, a weight being lifted using a pulley system, and a person using a pulley to raise themselves up while rock climbing.

4. Can a real pulley be considered massless?

No, a real pulley will always have some mass and friction, no matter how small. However, in many physics problems, the effects of mass and friction can be neglected and a massless pulley can be assumed for simplification purposes.

5. How does the number of pulleys affect the tension in a massless pulley system?

In a massless pulley system, the tension in the rope or string will be the same on both sides of the pulley. Therefore, the number of pulleys does not affect the tension, but it can affect the direction of the tension and the mechanical advantage of the system.