How Do You Solve a Double Atwood's Machine Problem?

• Thread starter struggles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Machine
In summary: For example, you know that a2 = 2 a1, but you have to be careful about how you apply that information.In summary, the masses m1 and m2 are connected by a light string over a light frictionless pulley, and the axel of pulley B is connected to a mass m3 through a second light frictionless pulley attached to the ceiling. The system is released from rest and the following is determined in terms of m1, m2, m3, and g: a) The acceleration of the block m3 is (4m1m2g - m1m3g - m2m3g)/(m1m3 + m2m3) when measured
struggles

Homework Statement

Masses m1 and m2 are connected by a light during A over a light frictionless pulley B. The axel of pulley B is connected by a light string C over a second light frictionless pulley D to a mass m3. Pulley D is attached o the ceiling. The system is released from rest.
In terms of m1, m2, m3 and g what are
a) the acceleration of the block m3
b) the acceleration of pulley B
c) the acceleration of block m1 and m2
d) The tension in the string A
e) The tension in the string C

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

a) As the strings are weightless the tension either side of the pulley will be the same.
I came up with equations
TA - m1g = m1a1
TA - m2g = -m2a1
TB - m3g = m3a2
TB - (m1 + m2)g = -(m1 + m2)a2
TB = 2TA

Rearranging the first 2 equations i got
TA = (2m1m2g)/(m1 + m2)

I then substituted this into equation 3 to get
(4m1m2g)/(m1 + m2) - m3g = m3a
which when i rearrange goes
(4m1m2g - m1m3g - m2m3g)/(m1m3 + m2m3) = a

However this is not the answer stated in my textbook and I'm not sure where I've gone wrong.
Any help would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your first equations would be right only if the pulley B were fixed.

Jilang said:
Your first equations would be right only if the pulley B were fixed.
So would it be TA - m1g = m1(a1 + a2) as it is accelerating not only on its own pulley system but also has the acceleration of pulley B?
This would also change equation 2 to T1 - m2g = -m2(a1 + a2)

If a1, a2, and a3 are accelerations measured relative to the earth, then equation 1 is OK. The next three need modification. You are right that you are going to need to think about relative accelerations.

Related to How Do You Solve a Double Atwood's Machine Problem?

What is a Double Atwood's machine?

A Double Atwood's machine is a mechanical system that consists of two Atwood's machines connected together in series. An Atwood's machine is a simple pulley system that is used to study the effects of gravity and tension on a mass.

What is the principle behind a Double Atwood's machine?

The principle behind a Double Atwood's machine is similar to that of a single Atwood's machine, where two masses are connected by a string that passes over a pulley. The difference is that in a Double Atwood's machine, the pulley is shared between the two masses, which allows for the study of the relationship between the masses and the tension in the string.

What are the applications of a Double Atwood's machine?

A Double Atwood's machine is commonly used in physics experiments to study the principles of dynamics, specifically the relationship between mass, tension, and acceleration. It can also be used to demonstrate the concept of conservation of energy.

What are the components of a Double Atwood's machine?

The components of a Double Atwood's machine include two masses, a pulley, and a string. The two masses are connected by the string which passes over the pulley. The pulley is usually fixed to a support and the masses can be attached to the string using hooks or clips.

How does the Double Atwood's machine differ from a single Atwood's machine?

The main difference between a Double Atwood's machine and a single Atwood's machine is the number of masses and the arrangement of the pulley. In a single Atwood's machine, the two masses are on either side of the pulley, while in a Double Atwood's machine, the two masses are connected by the same string that passes over the pulley. This allows for the study of the relationship between the masses and the tension in the string.