How Do You Simplify (x^2-2x+1)/(x-1) to x-1?

• MHB
  • Thread starter linapril
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Simplifying
In summary: Or:$8x^2+34x+35=8\left(x+\frac{7}{4}\right)\left(x+\frac{5}{2}\right)$I'll leave it to you to check the multiplication.
linapril
Could someone explain how I'd simplify (x2-2x+1)/(x-1) to become x-1? Thanks a bunch!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Easy algebra

linapril said:
Could someone explain how I'd simplify (x2-2x+1)/(x-1) to become x-1? Thanks a bunch!

Hi linapril, :)

Are you familiar with how to factor? Here's how I would do this problem.

\(\displaystyle \frac{x^2-2x+1}{x-1}=\frac{(x-1)(x-1)}{x-1}=x-1\)

Jameson

Re: Easy algebra

Jameson said:
Hi linapril, :)

Are you familiar with how to factor? Here's how I would do this problem.

\(\displaystyle \frac{x^2-2x+1}{x-1}=\frac{(x-1)(x-1)}{x-1}=x-1\)

Jameson

Along with the proviso that $x\not=1$. Any time you cancel factors such that there is no longer that factor in the denominator, you must include a proviso so that you preserve the domain of the original function.

This is the method I have taught students I have tutored on how to factor quadratics.

Consider the general quadratic:

$\displaystyle ax^2+bx+c$

In the case of $\displaystyle x^2-2x+1=(1)x^2+(-2)x+(1)$, we identify:

$a=1,\,b=-2,\,c=1$

To factor, I first look at the product $ac=(1)(1)=1$. We want to find two factors of 1 whose sum is $b=-1$, and so those factors are -1 and -1, since $(-1)(-1)=1$ and $(-1)+(-1)=-2$.

Since $a=1$, we know the factorization will be of the form:

$(x\cdots)(x\cdots)$

To understand why the method I outlined works, we could set:

$x^2-2x+1=(x+d)(x+e)=x^2+(d+e)x+de$

Equating coefficients, we see we need two numbers $d$ and $e$ that simultaneously satisfy:

$d+e=-2$

$de=1$

As we already found, we need $d=e=-1$.

And so we may replace the dots with the two factors we found:

$(x-1)(x-1)=(x-1)^2$

Thus, we may state:

$x^2-2x+1=(x-1)^2$

The method I outlined can get a little more involved if $a$ is not 1, even more involved still if $a$ is a composite number. Consider the quadratic:

$8x^2+34x+35$

We want two factors of $8\cdot35=280$ whose sum is $34$. They are $14$ and $20$. Now we must observe that $20$ is divisible by $4$ and $14$ is divisible by $2$. The product of $2$ and $4$ will give is $a=8$.

So, we will have the form:

$(4x\cdots)(2x\cdots)$

$\displaystyle \frac{20}{4}=5$ and $\displaystyle \frac{14}{2}=7$ so we have:

$8x^2+34x+35=(4x+7)(2x+5)$

To simplify this expression, we can use the factoring method. We first need to factor the numerator, which is a quadratic expression. We can use the "ac" method, where we find two numbers whose product is equal to the product of the first and last terms of the expression, and whose sum is equal to the coefficient of the middle term. In this case, the first and last terms are x^2 and 1, and the middle term is -2x.

So, we need to find two numbers whose product is x^2 and whose sum is -2x. These numbers are -1 and -1. Therefore, we can rewrite the numerator as (x-1)(x-1).

Now, we can rewrite the original expression as [(x-1)(x-1)]/(x-1).

Using the property of division, we can rewrite this as (x-1) * [(x-1)/(x-1)].

The term (x-1) in the numerator and denominator cancels out, leaving us with (x-1) as the simplified expression.

In summary, we can simplify (x^2-2x+1)/(x-1) to x-1 by factoring the numerator and using the property of division.

Related to How Do You Simplify (x^2-2x+1)/(x-1) to x-1?

1. What does it mean to "simplify" a polynomial expression?

Simplifying a polynomial expression means to rewrite it in a form that is easier to work with or understand. This usually involves combining like terms, factoring, and reducing fractions.

2. Why is it important to simplify polynomial expressions?

Simplifying polynomial expressions can help us solve equations, graph functions, and make calculations more efficient. It also allows us to clearly see the key components of the expression and their relationships.

3. How do I simplify (x2-2x+1)/(x-1)?

To simplify this expression, first factor the numerator and denominator. (x2-2x+1) factors to (x-1)(x-1) and (x-1) remains the same in the denominator. Then, we can cancel out the common factor (x-1) in the numerator and denominator, leaving us with x-1 as the simplified expression.

4. Can (x2-2x+1)/(x-1) be simplified further?

No, x-1 is already the simplest form of this expression. We cannot factor it any further or cancel out any more common factors.

5. How can I check if my simplified expression is equivalent to the original expression?

You can check by plugging in a value for x in both expressions and comparing the resulting values. If they are equal, then the expressions are equivalent. You can also multiply out both expressions and check if they have the same terms and coefficients.