How Do You Simplify Trigonometric Expressions Using Identities?

• Thread starter Olly_price
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factoring
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of simplifying the expression (cos^2θ + sin^2θ)(cos^2θ - sin^2θ) to cos^4θ - sin^4θ, using the identities cos^2θ = (cosθ)^2 and sin^2θ = (sinθ)^2. The distributive law is mentioned as a useful tool for expanding expressions, and it is noted that the formula x^2-y^2 = (x-y)(x+y) can be applied in this case. The importance of understanding the distributive law is emphasized for tackling more complex expressions.
Olly_price
I'm teaching maths to myself so I don't really have anywhere else to go for an explanation other than here, so I apologise if this seems simple.

How do you get from:

(cos^2θ + sin^2θ)(cos^2θ - sin^2θ)

to

cos^4θ - sin^4θ

NOTE: cos^2θ is shorthand for (cosθ)^2 as is with all the other ones as well.

The question could also be asked in reverse (how do I factorise cos^4θ - sin^4θ)

Please bear in mind that I am teaching maths to myself, so it's pretty useless if you don't explain every mathematical step.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It is just algebra if cos = a, and sin = b, then cos^2 = a^2, and sin^2 = b^2

And to take what coolul007 said a little further, it's a difference of two squares.

In general, [tex]x^2-y^2=(x-y)(x+y)[/tex] and this works for any x and y. So in this case [itex]x=\cos^2\theta[/itex] and [itex]y=\sin^2\theta[/itex]

Hey Olly_price and welcome to the forums.

You should learn about the distributive law and expand out the (x-y)(x+y) in terms of x's and y's and you will end up showing the formula Mentallic described above.

This will help you if you come across more complicated expressions where you need to show a similar kind of (example (x-y)(x-y)(x-y) expanded).

I understand that learning new concepts and equations can be challenging. I will do my best to explain the process of factoring radian equations in a clear and concise manner.

To begin, let's review the basic trigonometric identities that will be used in this process:

1. Pythagorean Identity: cos^2θ + sin^2θ = 1

2. Difference of Squares Identity: a^2 - b^2 = (a + b)(a - b)

Now, let's look at the equation (cos^2θ + sin^2θ)(cos^2θ - sin^2θ). We can apply the Pythagorean Identity to the first set of parentheses, which will give us:

1(cos^2θ - sin^2θ)

Next, we can apply the Difference of Squares Identity to the second set of parentheses, which will give us:

1(cos^2θ - sin^2θ)(cos^2θ + sin^2θ)

We can now see that the two sets of parentheses are identical, so we can simplify the equation to just:

1(cos^2θ - sin^2θ)^2

To factor this further, we can use the Difference of Squares Identity again, which will give us:

1(cosθ - sinθ)(cosθ + sinθ)(cosθ - sinθ)(cosθ + sinθ)

This can be simplified to:

1(cos^2θ - sin^2θ)(cos^2θ - sin^2θ)

Finally, we can apply the Pythagorean Identity once more to get:

1(cos^4θ - sin^4θ)

In summary, the process of factoring radian equations involves using basic trigonometric identities to simplify the equation and then applying the Difference of Squares Identity to factor it further. I hope this explanation helps in your understanding of this concept. Keep up the good work in teaching yourself mathematics!

Related to How Do You Simplify Trigonometric Expressions Using Identities?

1. What are radian equations and why do we need to factor them?

Radian equations are mathematical expressions that involve angles measured in radians. We need to factor them in order to simplify and solve these equations, as well as to make them more manageable for further calculations.

2. How do you factor a radian equation?

To factor a radian equation, you need to first identify if it follows a specific format (such as a perfect square or difference of squares). Then, you can use techniques such as factoring by grouping, completing the square, or the quadratic formula to factor the equation.

3. Can all radian equations be factored?

Not all radian equations can be factored. Some equations may not follow a specific format or may have complex solutions that cannot be easily factored. In these cases, other methods such as numerical approximation may be used to solve the equations.

4. Why is factoring important in solving radian equations?

Factoring is important in solving radian equations because it allows us to simplify and solve equations that may otherwise be difficult to solve. It also helps us to identify key values and relationships within the equation, making it easier to understand and manipulate.

5. Are there any tips for factoring radian equations?

Some tips for factoring radian equations include: looking for common factors, factoring out the greatest common factor, and using the FOIL method to check your factoring. It is also helpful to practice factoring various types of equations to improve your skills.