How Do You Simplify the Expression \(\frac{a^4-b^4}{4a^2+4b^2}:(a+b)\)?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem where the question asker needs help simplifying \frac{a^4-b^4}{4a^2+4b^2}:(a+b). There is some confusion about the meaning of the ":" symbol and the correct interpretation of the answer given. There is also discussion about the forum guidelines and showing work before asking for help.
kristo
I'm supposed to simplify this, help please!
[itex]\frac{a^4-b^4}{4a^2+4b^2}:(a+b)[/itex]
Sorry for posting in the wrong section, could someone move it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, kristo.

According to forum guidelines, you need to show you work before asking for help.

the result will be: (a-b)/4

Last edited:
Normally, I would delete a post giving the answer while the original poster has not shown any effort on the problem, especially when there is no work done. Here, however, there is no difficulty since the "answer" given by sutupidmath is obviously wrong!

Kristo, what does that ":" mean? Are you simply multiplying the fraction by (a+ b)? I will give a hint- you can both numerator and denominator of the fraction.

I appologize for entering the answer directly. However if ":" on kristos problem means division then i do not see why my answer is wrong?

I didn't think of : meaning division- you think it is missing a -?

In that case I can see your answer- although the usual interpretation of
a+ b/4 would be a+ (b/4)- still not right!

HallsofIvy said:
I didn't think of : meaning division- you think it is missing a -?

In that case I can see your answer- although the usual interpretation of
a+ b/4 would be a+ (b/4)- still not right!
I think he meant division in the way ratios are written. 2:3, for example.

Related to How Do You Simplify the Expression \(\frac{a^4-b^4}{4a^2+4b^2}:(a+b)\)?

1. How do I simplify a math problem?

To simplify a math problem, first identify any like terms and combine them. Then, use the order of operations (PEMDAS) to solve the problem step by step. Finally, check your answer to make sure it is in its simplest form.

2. What does it mean to simplify a problem?

Simplifying a problem means to reduce it to its most basic form. This can involve combining like terms, simplifying fractions, and using mathematical rules to solve the problem in a more straightforward way.

3. What are some common mistakes when simplifying a problem?

Common mistakes when simplifying a problem include forgetting to follow the order of operations, making errors with negative signs, and not fully simplifying the solution. It is important to double check your work and use a calculator if needed.

4. Can you give an example of simplifying a problem?

Sure, for example, if we have the expression 3x + 6x, we can simplify it by combining the like terms to get 9x. Another example is simplifying the fraction 12/18, which can be reduced to 2/3 by dividing both the numerator and denominator by their greatest common factor, which is 6.

5. Why is it important to simplify a problem?

Simplifying a problem can make it easier to solve and understand. It can also help to find the most efficient and accurate solution. Simplifying also allows us to see the underlying structure of a problem and make connections to other math concepts.