How do you reduce a matrix with unknown components?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with solving a system of equations involving a matrix with unknown components represented by Kronecker Delta symbols. The traditional method of row operations is not effective in this case because there is a chance that the unknowns are equal to zero. The solution is to either figure out the values of the unknown components or provide a specific example for better understanding.
Hertz
Hi, I've been running into a problem lately where I have a system of equations that needs to be solved or I need to do some other sort of matrix algebra, but the components of the matrix that I am trying to perform row operations on have unknowns in them.

Specifically, I was working with a matrix who's components were all Kronecker Delta symbols. This was a problem because I didn't know which components were 1 and which components were 0, as it was not possible for them ALL to equal one or the other. Trying to put this matrix in RREF was troubling because I am not able to divide by the Kronecker Delta symbols as there is a large chance that they are zero. If I ignore this fact and solve traditionally anyways, I end up with rational answers that have delta symbols in the denominator, which is obviously not allowed.

So, I guess what I'm trying to ask is how do you reduce a matrix with unknown components? The traditional method of row operations does not work if there is a chance that these unknowns are equal to zero.

(I know you don't divide by rows in row operations. The problem is when you try to make the first non-zero component in a row equal to one, because you have to divide by its magnitude.)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Can you post the simplest, or at least a simple, example that demonstrates a real problem, the solution, why it is the solution and an explanation of the example? Maybe that would make it easier for someone to understand.

Hertz said:
This was a problem because I didn't know which components were 1 and which components were 0, as it was not possible for them ALL to equal one or the other.

If you know the definition of the Kronecker delta symbol, you should be able to figure that out. You might need to write out some special cases for small matrices in full, to see what is going on.

Or, as Bill Simpson said, post an example.

Related to How do you reduce a matrix with unknown components?

What is Matrix Algebra?

Matrix algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the operations and properties of matrices, which are rectangular arrays of numbers or symbols. It involves operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of matrices, as well as solving systems of linear equations and finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

What are Variables in Matrix Algebra?

In matrix algebra, variables are used to represent unknown values in a system of equations or in a matrix itself. These variables can be real numbers, complex numbers, or symbols. They are often denoted by lowercase letters such as x, y, or z.

How are Variables Used in Matrix Algebra?

Variables are used in matrix algebra to represent unknown quantities, to simplify calculations, and to solve systems of equations. They are also used to represent abstract mathematical concepts, such as vectors and transformations, which can be represented by matrices.

What is the Importance of Variables in Matrix Algebra?

Variables play a crucial role in matrix algebra as they allow for the representation and manipulation of complex mathematical concepts in a simple and concise manner. They also make it possible to solve systems of equations and to find solutions to real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

How Can I Learn Matrix Algebra with Variables?

There are many resources available for learning matrix algebra with variables, including textbooks, online courses, and tutorials. It is important to have a strong understanding of algebra and basic matrix operations before delving into more advanced concepts. Practice and repetition are also key to mastering this mathematical topic.