How Do You Rearrange Kinematic Equations Effectively?

In summary, the conversation is about the difficulties the speaker is having with using algebra to rearrange equations, specifically with solving for variables such as t and d. The speaker gives an example of using the formula v=d/t to solve for t and d, and also mentions struggling with the formula for acceleration. The other person suggests a simpler method for solving the acceleration equation. The speaker then asks for any tips or rules for rearranging equations.
Siege
I already typed a long drawn out post, so I am going to simplfy it.

I am having trouble using algebra to rearrange equation.

For Example,

v=d/t
And so, to solve for both t and d, I do the following

vt=d/t x t
vt=d
vt/v=d/v
t=d/v

I have difficulty with most if not all the other equations. For example, the formula for acceleration.

a=Vf-Vi/t
Solve for t

a=Vf-Vi/t
at=Vf-Vi/t x t
at + Vi=Vf -Vi + Vi
at+Vi=Vf
Vf-Vi/a=t

This is my attempt at it. I multiplied by t, then eliminated the negative, and finally divided by a.

Thank you ahead of time!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes those are correct.

For the second one, you could have done it simpler instead of expanding out:

a=(vf-vi)t

multiplying both sides by 't'

at=(vf-vi)

divide both sides by 'a'

t=(vf-vi)/a

Thank you very much.

Are there any tricks to rearranging equations? or rules to follow?

Related to How Do You Rearrange Kinematic Equations Effectively?

What are the basic kinematic equations?

The basic kinematic equations are a set of equations that describe the motion of an object in terms of its position, velocity, acceleration, and time. These equations are derived from the fundamental principles of physics, such as Newton's laws of motion.

What are the variables in the basic kinematic equations?

The variables in the basic kinematic equations include displacement (x), initial velocity (v₀), final velocity (v), acceleration (a), and time (t). These variables can be used to solve for any missing value in the equations.

How are the basic kinematic equations used in real life?

The basic kinematic equations are used in various real-life applications, such as in engineering, sports, and everyday activities. For example, these equations can be used to calculate the speed and distance of a car in a race, the acceleration of a roller coaster, or the time it takes for a ball to reach a certain height when thrown.

Can the basic kinematic equations be used for any type of motion?

The basic kinematic equations are most commonly used for motion in a straight line, also known as linear motion. However, they can also be used for certain types of curved motion, such as circular motion, as long as the motion is uniform and the acceleration is constant.

How do the basic kinematic equations relate to each other?

The basic kinematic equations are interconnected and can be derived from each other. For example, the third equation (v = v₀ + at) can be obtained by rearranging the first equation (x = x₀ + v₀t + ½at²) and substituting for the final position (x) and final velocity (v). Therefore, these equations can be used together to solve for multiple unknown quantities in a given scenario.