How do you put force in a projectile equation

In summary, the conversation discusses incorporating the formula F=ma into the projectile formula for displacement in both the x and y directions. The acceleration of gravity is a factor and the individual's goal is to determine the force needed to throw an object.
Archit
Hi. I need to put the formula F=ma into the projectile formula
displacement =(initial velocity)time+acceleration(time2)/2

I've already tried it but can't. Please help me
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Archit said:
Hi. I need to put the formula F=ma into the projectile formula
displacement =(initial velocity)time+acceleration(time2)/2

I've already tried it but can't. Please help me
Thanks.

Welcome to the PF.

Sure you can. The "a" in your first equation is the "acceleration" in your second equation.

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

Sure you can. The "a" in your first equation is the "acceleration" in your second equation.
That acceleration is from gravity and I want to know the force taken to throw an object

Archit said:
That acceleration is from gravity and I want to know the force taken to throw an object

So you write equations in both the x and y directions. Depending on the angle that the projectile is thrown, it may have both x and y components of acceleration that give the projectile initial velocity in the x and y directions. After that, only the acceleration of gravity affects the projectile in the y direction (assuming no air resistance effects).

Related to How do you put force in a projectile equation

1. What is a projectile equation?

A projectile equation is a mathematical formula that describes the motion of a projectile, such as a ball thrown through the air. It takes into account factors such as initial velocity, angle of launch, and the effects of gravity.

2. How do you calculate the initial velocity in a projectile equation?

The initial velocity, or the speed at which the projectile is launched, can be calculated using the formula v = d/t, where v is the velocity, d is the distance traveled, and t is the time it takes to travel that distance. This can also be calculated using trigonometric functions if the angle of launch is known.

3. What is the role of force in a projectile equation?

Force is a crucial factor in a projectile equation as it determines the initial velocity and acceleration of the projectile. The force applied to the projectile, such as a throw or a launch, will determine how far and how fast the projectile will travel.

4. How do you incorporate air resistance in a projectile equation?

Air resistance, or drag, can be incorporated into a projectile equation by adding a drag coefficient to the formula. This coefficient takes into account the shape and size of the projectile and the density of the air. It will affect the velocity and trajectory of the projectile.

5. Can a projectile equation be used for objects launched in a vacuum?

Yes, a projectile equation can be used for objects launched in a vacuum, as there is no air resistance present. However, the equation may need to be adjusted to account for other factors, such as the gravitational pull of other objects or the curvature of the Earth.