How Do You Prove Vpri in This Transformer Circuit Problem?

In summary: Vpri=30V and Vsec=2V. In summary, the given problem is to prove that Vpri = 30(10R1 + R1R2 + 10R2)/R2 with the given values of R3 and IR1. The attempt at a solution involves finding the current across R2 and R3 and the total voltage in the secondary coil. However, the turns ratio was not given, making it impossible to solve the problem. The turns ratio is later revealed to be 15:1, resulting in Vpri = 30V and Vsec = 2V.
sero2000

Homework Statement

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/8502/73860646mw1.jpg

Given
R3= 10.0Ω
IR1= 2.0A

Prove that Vpri =30( 10R1+R1R2+10R2)/R2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Current across R2= 2xR1/R2
Current across R3= 2R1/R2 +2A
Total Voltage in sec coil= [2R1/R2 +2] x10 + 2R1
= 20R1+20+2R1R2/R2

Im stuck here currently=( any help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
sero2000 said:

Homework Statement

Given
R3= 10.0Ω
IR1= 2.0A

Prove that Vpri =30( 10R1+R1R2+10R2)/R2
Is this the only information given? Are you sure the 2A current is through R1?

Current across R2= 2xR1/R2
Current across R3= 2R1/R2 +2A
We describe current as going through an element (such as a resistor), rather than across it. Voltage, on the other hand, is measured across an element.

Ouabache said:
Is this the only information given? Are you sure the 2A current is through R1?

We describe current as going through an element (such as a resistor), rather than across it. Voltage, on the other hand, is measured across an element.

Yea the current through R1 is 2.0A. I already gt the answer=) apprently the teacher forgot to give the turns ratio for the qn. Thanks anyways=)

I thought so, I was just about to add, unless this were an isolation transformer, I would expect a ratio of turns (N1:N2), voltage (Vp:Vs), or current (Ip:Is) to be given.

What was the turns ratio? (I'd like to solve this one too).

Ouabache said:
I thought so, I was just about to add, unless this were an isolation transformer, I would expect a ratio of turns (N1:N2), voltage (Vp:Vs), or current (Ip:Is) to be given.

What was the turns ratio? (I'd like to solve this one too).

Oh the turns ratio was 15:1

Related to How Do You Prove Vpri in This Transformer Circuit Problem?

1. What is a transformer?

A transformer is an electrical device that is used to transfer energy from one circuit to another through electromagnetic induction. It is commonly used to step up or step down the voltage of an alternating current (AC) power supply.

2. How does a transformer work?

A transformer works by using two coils of wire, known as the primary and secondary windings, that are wrapped around an iron core. When an alternating current flows through the primary winding, it creates a changing magnetic field in the iron core. This changing magnetic field induces a voltage in the secondary winding, which can then be used to power another circuit.

3. What are the different types of transformers?

There are two main types of transformers: step-up transformers and step-down transformers. Step-up transformers increase the voltage while decreasing the current, while step-down transformers decrease the voltage while increasing the current. Other types of transformers include isolation transformers, autotransformers, and variable transformers.

4. What are some common applications for transformers?

Transformers have a wide range of applications, including power distribution, voltage regulation, and electric motors. They are also commonly used in electronic devices such as televisions, computers, and cell phone chargers.

5. How do I troubleshoot a transformer?

If a transformer is not working properly, there are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot the issue. First, check the power source and make sure it is working correctly. Then, check the connections and make sure they are secure. If the transformer still does not function, it may be damaged and need to be replaced.