How Do You Prove the Logarithm Identity \frac{log_a n}{log_b n} = C?

In summary, we are given three constants a, b, and c and one variable n. We are asked to prove that \frac{log_a n}{log_b n} = C, where C is a constant. We use the change of base formula to simplify the expression to \log_a(b) = \frac{1}{\log_b(a)}. Using the property of logarithms, we can then show that \log_a(b)\log_b(a) = 1, proving the given statement.
shamieh
Given 3 constants a,b,c and 1 variable n

\(\displaystyle \frac{log_a n}{log_b n} = C\) , Prove it!

I know that:

\(\displaystyle log_a n = \frac{log_b n}{log_b a}\)

So for easier readability I let

\(\displaystyle log_a n = \alpha\)
\(\displaystyle log_b n = \beta\)
\(\displaystyle log_b a = u\)

So here is what I got..

\(\displaystyle \alpha = \frac{\beta}{u}\) <-- is my first formula

and this my second formula which I'm trying to solve for
\(\displaystyle \frac{\alpha}{\beta}\)

Subbing in for \(\displaystyle \alpha\) I got:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\beta/u}{\beta} = \frac{1}{u} = \frac{1}{log_b a} = log_a b\)

So would that be correct?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I also know that \(\displaystyle log_b b = 1\) (according to logarithm rules)... So is there some rule where I can just change \(\displaystyle log_a b\) to \(\displaystyle log_b b\) to get 1/1 = 1?

Your expression of \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{u}\) is correct, but then you switched $a$ and $b$ when you back-substituted. Why not just use the change of base formula you cited to state:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\log_a(n)}{\log_b(n)}=\frac{1}{\log_b(n)} \cdot\frac{\log_b(n)}{\log_b(a)}=\frac{1}{\log_b(a)}=\log_a(b)\)

I'm going to move this thread to our algebra subforum since it deals with log properties. :D

So \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{log_b a} = log_a b \) ? so, taking your advice assuming that it does equal that, what does \(\displaystyle log_a b = ?\) Is that just some constant?

- - - Updated - - -

MarkFL said:
Your expression of \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{u}\) is correct, but then you switched $a$ and $b$ when you back-substituted. Why not just use the change of base formula you cited to state:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\log_a(n)}{\log_b(n)}=\frac{1}{\log_b(n)} \cdot\frac{\log_b(n)}{\log_b(a)}=\frac{1}{\log_b(a)}=\log_a(b)\)

I'm going to move this thread to our algebra subforum since it deals with log properties. :D

Thanks I edited it appropriately, I see what you're saying where I back substituted incorrectly. Now I'm just trying to figure out what exactly \(\displaystyle log_a b\) is.. is it 1?

so how is \(\displaystyle log_a b\) = to some constant?are they taking \(\displaystyle log_a b / log_a b = log_a b * 1/log_a b = 1?\) (thus: C) ?

If $a$ and $b$ are constants, then (for appropriate values) $\log_a(b)$ is just a constant as well.

And yes, the following is an identity:

\(\displaystyle \log_a(b)=\frac{1}{\log_b(a)}\)

Can you use the change of base theorem to prove it is true?

MarkFL said:
If $a$ and $b$ are constants, then (for appropriate values) $\log_a(b)$ is just a constant as well.

And yes, the following is an identity:

\(\displaystyle \log_a(b)=\frac{1}{\log_b(a)}\)

Can you use the change of base theorem to prove it is true?
would this work?

\(\displaystyle log_a b = \frac{1}{log_b a}\)

\(\displaystyle \therefore log_a b = log_a b\)

\(\displaystyle \therefore \frac{log_a b}{log_a b} = 1\)

No, I meant something more like:

\(\displaystyle \log_a(b)=\frac{\log_b(b)}{\log_b(a)}= \frac{1}{\log_b(a)}\)

Oh I see! Because log_b(b) is = 1 so we can replace it!

shamieh said:
Oh I see! Because log_b(b) is = 1 so we can replace it!

Right you are! :D

\(\displaystyle log_a b = \frac{log_b b}{log_b a}\)

then dividing I get

\(\displaystyle \frac{log_a b}{log_b b / log_b a}\)

which equals

\(\displaystyle log_a b * \frac{log_b a}{log_b b}\)

which = \(\displaystyle log_a b + log_b a \)

Which gets me no where? I'm so confused

How did you get that last line (the sum)?

Because from the rules of property of logarithms \(\displaystyle log_a b * log_b a / 1\) is just

\(\displaystyle log_a b * log_b a\) and then when its multiplication you add right?

I just took a guess, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I must be missing the big picture here though.

- - - Updated - - -

Wait Oh I see now.

I think i need to change log_a b to be 1/log_b a and then they will cancel out to get 1. I didnt see that

I think the property you were thinking of is:

\(\displaystyle \log_a(bc)=\log_a(b)+\log_a(c)\)

And yes, you figured out that:

\(\displaystyle \log_a(b)\log_b(a)=1\) :D

Wow, I know those rules were allot of college algebra, but I just forgot allot of those rules. Thanks so much Mark for helping me with this proof! Took me forever to wrap my head around that

Related to How Do You Prove the Logarithm Identity \frac{log_a n}{log_b n} = C?

1. What is a logarithm and how does it relate to exponential functions?

A logarithm is an operation that represents the power to which a base number must be raised to produce a given number. This is the inverse of an exponential function, where the base number is raised to a given power to produce a result. For example, log28 = 3 because 23 = 8.

2. What is the basic rule for solving logarithm proofs?

The basic rule for solving logarithm proofs is to use the properties of logarithms, such as the product rule, quotient rule, and power rule, to simplify the expression and eventually solve for the variable. It is also important to remember that the base of the logarithm must be the same on both sides of the equation in order to solve it.

3. Can you provide an example of a logarithm proof problem?

Sure! A common logarithm proof problem is: Solve for x: log2(x+4) = 3. Using the power rule, we can rewrite this equation as x+4 = 23 = 8. Then, solving for x, we get x = 8-4 = 4.

4. What is the purpose of using logarithms in mathematical proofs?

Logarithms are used in mathematical proofs because they provide a way to express very large or small numbers in a more manageable form. They also have useful properties that can help simplify equations and make them easier to solve.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving logarithm proof problems?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes to avoid when solving logarithm proof problems. These include forgetting to use the properties of logarithms, such as the power rule, and not simplifying the expression enough before solving for the variable. It is also important to make sure that the base of the logarithm is the same on both sides of the equation before solving.