How Do You Prove the Integral of Cosine Functions Using Exponential Forms?

• Thread starter jlmac2001
  • Start date
In summary, the question asks to prove that the integral from -pi/w to pi/w of the function cos(nwt)cos(mwt) dt is equal to 0 for n not equal to m, pi/w for n=m not equal to 0, and 2pi/w for n=m=0. This can be proven by splitting the job into two cases: when n is not equal to m and when n=m. The exponential form can be used to solve the integral, and it is important to keep n and m as constants rather than substituting specific values to prove the result for all n and m.
jlmac2001
The question asks to prove the following by writing each sine and cosine function as a sum of exponentials of arguments inwt or imwt:

integral from -pi/w to pi/w (cos (nwt)cos(mwt) dt) = {0 for n not equal to m, pi/w for n=m not equal to 0 , 2pi/w for n=m=0

Would I write the cosine funtion in the exponential form e^x+e^-x/2 and then solve by using different valuse for n and w for the one the is equal to 0 when n is not equal to m? I'm confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
Split the job in two cases
1. You are to show that the integral is zero whenever n is not m.
2. You are to show that the integral is the value indicated whenever n=m
If you are unfamiliar with the exponential form, you might use:
cos(nx)cos(mx)=1/2(cos((n-m)x)+cos((n+m)x))

example

I still don't get it. Can someone show me an example? Do i have to chose two different numbers for n and m?

You must do it for general n and m. Specifying them for a couple of values does not prove the result for all n and m. Just leave the n and m in there as letters (constants) and do the integration.

Related to How Do You Prove the Integral of Cosine Functions Using Exponential Forms?

1. What does "help understanding question" mean?

"Help understanding question" refers to a request for assistance in comprehending or interpreting a specific question. This could be due to confusion about the language used, the subject matter, or the underlying concepts being addressed.

2. How can I better understand a question?

One way to better understand a question is to break it down into smaller parts and analyze each part individually. Additionally, seeking outside resources such as textbooks, online articles, or asking for clarification from the person who posed the question can also aid in understanding.

3. Why is it important to understand a question?

Understanding a question is important because it allows you to provide a relevant and accurate response. Without understanding the question, you may provide an incorrect or irrelevant answer, which can hinder the conversation or research being conducted.

4. What should I do if I still don't understand a question?

If you still don't understand a question, it is important to communicate this to the person asking it. Ask for clarification or additional information to help you better comprehend the question. It may also be helpful to take a break and come back to the question with a fresh perspective.

5. Can I rephrase a question to better understand it?

Yes, it is absolutely acceptable to rephrase a question in order to better understand it. Sometimes, the language used in a question may be confusing or unclear, and rephrasing it can help bring clarity. However, it is important to make sure the rephrased question still captures the original intent and meaning.