How do you obtain electrons and know their average velocity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the experimentation with charge accelerators and the use of electrons instead of charged objects to measure charge. The question of how to obtain electrons and measure their average velocity is raised, and two methods are suggested: shooting the electrons into a magnetic or electric field and using a velocity selector with a hot cathode electron emitter.
quantumfoam
How do you obtain electrons and know their average velocity??

Hello guys! I am currently trying to experiment with charge accelerators. I soon tripped inside a really big hole. I soon realized that I didn't know how to measure the amount of charge(in coulombs) a charged conductor has. So instead of using charged objects, I decided to use electrons. How would I go about obtaining electrons? Most importantly, how could I measure the average velocity of a beam of the electrons I obtained (if I am able to obtain them).

Physics news on Phys.org
I am quite sure that there is a deeper problem in the whole setup...
To get the electron velocity, you can shoot them into a magnetic or electric field and measure the curvature/deflection. Alternatively, keep track of the accelerating voltage, and calculate the velocity based on that.

Hi guys! Yes, I thought about that last night. I decided to use a velocity selector and a hot cathode electron emitter with a low work function. The velocity selector will only allow the electrons with the desired velocity pass through the magnetic and electric fields. Provided that I apply enough energy to the hot cathode. Thanks!:smile:

Related to How do you obtain electrons and know their average velocity?

What is the process of obtaining electrons?

The process of obtaining electrons involves using a source of energy, such as a battery, to create a potential difference. This potential difference causes electrons to flow from the negative terminal to the positive terminal, creating an electric current. Electrons can also be obtained through various chemical reactions and processes.

How do you measure the average velocity of electrons?

The average velocity of electrons can be measured using various techniques, such as electron microscopy or particle accelerators. These techniques involve tracking the movement of electrons and calculating their average velocity over a specified distance or time period.

What factors can affect the average velocity of electrons?

The average velocity of electrons can be affected by factors such as temperature, electric field strength, and the material through which the electrons are flowing. In general, higher temperatures and stronger electric fields can increase the average velocity of electrons, while certain materials may have a higher resistance and slow down the movement of electrons.

Can the average velocity of electrons change?

Yes, the average velocity of electrons can change depending on the conditions and environment in which they are moving. As mentioned before, factors such as temperature and electric field strength can affect the average velocity of electrons. Additionally, the presence of impurities or defects in a material can also alter the average velocity of electrons.

Why is it important to know the average velocity of electrons?

The average velocity of electrons is important for understanding and predicting the behavior of electric currents in various systems. It also plays a crucial role in the design and functioning of electronic devices, such as computers and smartphones. By knowing the average velocity of electrons, scientists and engineers can optimize the performance and efficiency of these devices.