How do you multiply indexed matrices?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Voldyy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary, you can calculate the product of two indexed matrices by multiplying the corresponding rows and columns of each matrix, and then adding the corresponding entries in the resulting matrix.
Voldyy
Hello, I want to ask if anyone can explain to me how to multiply indexed matrices.
This is an example I have made, but I do not know if it is true
20210111_135937.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Once again you have posted a problem where miracles are expected to occur.

How did you know how to calculate dp?

Please post the whole problem! We can't help you much if we have to guess at what's going on.

-Dan

topsquark said:
Once again you have posted a problem where miracles are expected to occur.

How did you know how to calculate dp?

Please post the whole problem! We can't help you much if we have to guess at what's going on.

-Dan
this is the problem i don't know if what i wrote is true

It is extremely difficult to understand what you are writing because you are using a very peculiar notation!

I THINK you mean that
\(\displaystyle A= \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 2 & 3\\ 4 & 5 & 6 \\7 & 8 & 9 \end{pmatrix}\)
that
\(\displaystyle B= \begin{pmatrix}10 & 11 & 12 \\ 13 & 14 & 15 \\ 16 & 17 & 18 \end{pmatrix}\)

and you want to find the product
\(\displaystyle AB= \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 2 & 3\\ 4 & 5 & 6 \\7 & 8 & 9 \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}10 & 11 & 12 \\ 13 & 14 & 15 \\ 16 & 17 & 18 \end{pmatrix}\).

One way to think about this is that each row of matrix A is a vector, that each column of matrix B is a vector, and you want to take the "dot product" of the three vectors from A with each of the three vectors from B. (you appear to have labeled row and columns with "p", "q", etc. but that seems to me more complicated and confusing than useful.)

For example, the first row in A is [1, 2. 3] and the first column in B is [10, 13, 16]. Their "dot product" is 1(10)+ 2(13)+ 3(16)= 10+ 26+ 48= 84. The value in the first row, first column of AB is 84.

The first row in A is [1, 2, 3] and the second column in B is [11, 14, 17]. Their "dot product" is 1(11)+ 2(14)+ 3(17)= 11+ 28+ 51= 90. The value in the first row, second column of AB is 90.

The last number in the first row of AB is 1(12)+2(15)+ 3(18)= 12+ 30+ 54= 96. The first row of AB is \(\displaystyle \begin{pmatrix}84 & 90 & 96\end{pmatrix}\).

Do the same but using the second row of A, \(\displaystyle \begin{pmatrix}4 & 5 & 6 \end{pmatrix}\) with the three columns of B to get the second row of AB.

Do the same but using the third row of A, \(\displaystyle \begin{pmatrix}7 & 8 & 9 \end{pmatrix}\) with the three columns of B to get the third row of AB.

Related to How do you multiply indexed matrices?

1. How do you multiply indexed matrices?

Multiplying indexed matrices involves multiplying each element in one matrix by its corresponding element in the other matrix, and then summing these products. This is known as the dot product.

2. What is the difference between multiplying indexed matrices and regular matrices?

The main difference is that in indexed matrices, the elements are organized into rows and columns and can be accessed using indices, whereas in regular matrices, the elements are simply arranged in rows and columns.

3. Can indexed matrices of different sizes be multiplied?

No, in order to multiply indexed matrices, they must have the same number of rows and columns. This is known as the dimensionality of the matrices.

4. What is the significance of the order of multiplication in indexed matrices?

The order of multiplication is important because matrix multiplication is not commutative, meaning that switching the order of the matrices will result in a different product. In other words, AB is not necessarily equal to BA.

5. Is there a limit to the number of matrices that can be multiplied together?

No, there is no limit to the number of matrices that can be multiplied together. However, the dimensions of each matrix must be compatible in order for the multiplication to be valid.