How Do You Model a Damped Harmonic Oscillator with External Forces?

In summary, the conversation discusses the equations of motion for a system with a fixed black point, a force applied to the black point, and the black point's position as a function of time. The equations for a damped harmonic oscillator and a driven damped harmonic oscillator are considered, and the position of the mass is determined to be a function of time plus the natural length and elongation of the spring. The conversation also mentions resolving forces and the force from the spring.
gjfelix2001

Homework Statement

Give the equations of motion of the following system:

http://www.jelp.org/imagenes/mech.jpg

Homework Equations

So, i assume the following cases (the diagram i so deficient).

1) Black Point (x1) is fixed
2) There's a force applied at x1 (black dot)
3) The position of the black dot is a function of time f(t).

The Attempt at a Solution

For 1) I think the equation of motion is:

http://www.texify.com/img/%5CLARGE%5C%21m%5Cddot%7Bx%7D%2Bkx%2BG%5Cdot%7Bx%7D%3D0.gif

It's a dampeda harmonic oscillator, Right?

2) If a force f(t) is applied to the system, then we have :

http://www.texify.com/img/%5CLARGE%5C%21m%5Cddot%7Bx%7D%2Bkx%2BG%5Cdot%7Bx%7D%3DF%28t%29.gif

like the Damped and driven harmonic oscillator, am i right?

3) If by example, the full system (the damper too) is moving to the left (i.e. negative X).

For this, i tried the following:

The position of the mass is X=f(t)+L+lo , where L is the natural length of the spring, lo is the elongation or strecht of the spring. Then, taking the time derivatives of X, and substituing in the damped harmonic oscillator equation (Case 1), i get to:

http://www.texify.com/img/%5CLARGE%5C%21m%5Cddot%7Bf%7D%2Bk%28f%28t%29%2BL%2Bl_0%29%2BG%5Cdot%7Bf%7D%3D0.gif

Please, tell me if i am right in the whole problem. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've not done this for a while.. but.. resolve the forces around the mass M
I get something like (cant get latex thing workings so decript!)
m(x''2) - G(x'2) + k(x1 - x2) = 0

then you know x1 is a function of time f(t)
so this can be substituted in for x1 i believe
then rearrange so f(t) is subject.
I may be slightly wrong.. but I had a go :)

P.S. force from spring = k( x1- x2)
which is the bit that may have confused you

Related to How Do You Model a Damped Harmonic Oscillator with External Forces?

1. What is Classical Mechanics?

Classical Mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of macroscopic objects under the influence of forces. It is based on Newton's laws of motion and the law of universal gravitation.

2. What are the main principles of Classical Mechanics?

The three main principles of Classical Mechanics are Newton's laws of motion, the principle of conservation of energy, and the principle of conservation of momentum. These principles govern the behavior of objects in motion and are essential for solving problems in Classical Mechanics.

3. How is Classical Mechanics different from Quantum Mechanics?

Classical Mechanics deals with the motion of macroscopic objects, while Quantum Mechanics deals with the behavior of particles at a subatomic level. Classical Mechanics is based on deterministic principles, while Quantum Mechanics is based on probabilistic principles.

4. What are some common applications of Classical Mechanics?

Classical Mechanics has many practical applications, including understanding the motion of objects in our daily lives, designing structures and machines, predicting the behavior of celestial bodies, and developing technologies such as airplanes and cars.

5. What are some common problem-solving strategies in Classical Mechanics?

Some common problem-solving strategies in Classical Mechanics include using free body diagrams, applying Newton's laws of motion, using conservation of energy and momentum principles, and setting up and solving equations of motion. It is also important to clearly define the system and consider all relevant forces acting on it.