How Do You Make a Complex Denominator Real in a Fractional Expression?

• Thread starter kelp
  • Start date
In summary, the process of simplifying a fractional expression with four terms on the bottom, two of which are imaginary, is the same as with two terms. You would just multiply by the complex conjugate to make the denominator real. This can be done by expanding the expression and separating the real and imaginary terms.
kelp
Hello,
I am trying to simplify a fractional expression with four terms on the bottom, two of the terms are imaginary. How would I go about making the denominator real?
The denominator is as follows:
(1/jwC + R3 + jwL + R2)
The j is the imaginary number. Everything else is a constant. I know with two terms, you can just multiply by the complex conjugate. Not sure how to do it with four terms.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is no different with four terms.

The complex conjugate of (R3+R2)+j(wC+wL) is (R3+R2)-j(wC+wL)

Exactly what danago has said, when you're shown the technique of making the denominator of a complex number a+ib real by multiplying by its complex conjugate a-ib, the a and b can stand for any real number (however complicated).

For example, if [tex]a=x+y+1[/tex] and [tex]b=x^2+y^2+2[/tex] then the complex number

[tex]x+y+1+i(x^2+y^2+2)[/tex] should be multiplied by its complex conjugate [tex]x+y+1-i(x^2+y^2+2)[/tex] to obtain [tex]a^2+b^2[/tex] or [tex](x+y+1)^2+(x^2+y^2+2)^2[/tex].

Now, the same complex number could have its real and imaginary parts split up, for example the above could be expressed as

[tex]x(1+ix)+y(1+iy)+2i+1[/tex]

Now in this case it is less evident what the complex conjugate should be. You need to always expand, then collect the real terms and the imaginary terms separately. In other words, expand, then factorize out the i and all those terms that go with it are the imaginary terms while those without an i factorized out are the real terms. (if that makes any sense).

Thanks guys!

Related to How Do You Make a Complex Denominator Real in a Fractional Expression?

1. How do you define the denominator in a fraction?

The denominator in a fraction is the number located below the line, which represents the total number of equal parts the whole is divided into. It shows the number of equal parts that are being considered or taken.

2. How can I make the denominator real?

To make the denominator real, you can either multiply or divide both the numerator and denominator by the same number. This process is called simplifying or reducing the fraction.

3. What is the purpose of making the denominator real?

Making the denominator real is important because it helps us compare and perform operations with fractions easily. It also allows us to express fractions in their simplest form.

4. Can the denominator ever be negative or zero?

No, the denominator in a fraction cannot be negative or zero. In a fraction, the denominator represents the number of equal parts, and it cannot be a negative number or zero. If the denominator is negative, the fraction becomes invalid.

5. How do I convert an improper fraction to a real denominator?

To convert an improper fraction to a real denominator, you need to divide the numerator by the denominator. The quotient will be the whole number, and the remainder will be the new numerator, keeping the original denominator.