How do you know if one is good at abstract thinking?

In summary, abstract thinking can be developed through pursuing interests and activities, such as reading, thinking, practicing skills, and involving yourself in subjects like mathematics, music, science, computer programming, and photography. It requires effort and motivation, but can be acquired. IQ tests are not necessarily a good indicator of abstract thinking. Instead, one should focus on their enjoyment of the subject and their level of initiative and self-discipline. It is important to not over-analyze and instead focus on the subject matter. Enjoying the subject and learning outside of class can lead to success in mathematics. In conclusion, abstract thinking involves appreciating beauty and understanding how things work, and can be mastered through effective communication.
thrill3rnit3
Gold Member
How do you know if one is good at abstract thinking? I'm self evaluating myself if I can do pure maths in college, so any advice would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Letting yourself act in a trail of interests can influence how abstractly you learn to think. Can you foresee a sequence of interests which if you study and perform them might move your activities and thoughts into Mathematics? What do you currently like to do or think about?

Maybe I misunderstood your question. What I tried to help you accept is that you CAN DEVELOP ABSTRACT THINKING based on your interests and activities.

I was thinking about asking for an example of how to do this, but I decided that it would be counter-productive.

TMFKAN64 said:
I was thinking about asking for an example of how to do this, but I decided that it would be counter-productive.

Find topics that you want to learn about and find skills which you want to learn to do; then READ and THINK. If some things to practice are presented, then PRACTICE them. That is just very general. If you want more specific suggestions, this is difficult, since we do not know what your interests and your favorite instruction-related activities are. Since you placed an emphasis on Mathematics, you should involve yourself with something or things which can lead you to Mathematics. Try learning music, enroll in science courses (specific ones, not just unspecified "Science"), learn a computer programming language, study Algebra and some important forms of Geometry (like "College Preparatory Geometry", and Trigonometry), learn photography. Some of this you can start before entering college; and all of it you can start or continue when you are enrolled in college.

Most of what I listed relies on abstract thinking. You may need to put in a great effort for many of them, but becoming a more abstract thinker relies on your putting in this effort. Mathematics is probably one of the more abstract subjects mentioned there. I'd say many people stop their efforts at their mathematical development because they do not put in the patient effort to deal with the abstractness of the topics; not because they cannot think abstractly.

Last edited:
OK, I guess I was just being too abstract there... :-)

If you enjoy 'abstract' thinking and the courses in mathematics that you've taken up until now, those are positive indicators. Another one is that you specifically seek out new ideas in the field - you read outside of assigned work and work on problems that you take a personal interest in.

Ultimately the only way to really know is to jump in and see what the water's like.

Just keep working as hard as you can and you will develop the skills at abstract thiking. These skills are acquired and you are not born with them.

I guess my question should be "what exactly is abstract thinking"? I mean in mathematical terms.

All I've been reading about is that mathematicians mainly deal with abstractions, and so therefore should be good in abstraction.

On the side note, are those IQ tests good indicators if one can think abstractly or not?

Do you like math? Do you have initiative? Do you have good self-discipline?

If yes, yes, and yes...then that's all you need. Quit trying to over-analyze it.

thrill3rnit3 said:
How do you know if one is good at abstract thinking? I'm self evaluating myself if I can do pure maths in college, so any advice would be appreciated.
Motivation.

If you are reasonably intelligent, anything can be achieved with enough willpower. Brains do not get you through university, motivation does.

OK, let's get back to topic. What is abstract thinking in math? I've never really bothered to look up that question, I'm just doing my math sequences without worrying if I can abstractly think or not (until now, that is).

I was on topic.

thrill3rnit3 said:
I'm just doing my math sequences without worrying if I can abstractly think or not.

Keep doing this. Worry about the subject matter.

Don't believe the pure math elitists when they gush over all that other pretentious stuff...they'll make you think that you have to be the next Euler to succeed in math.

Go with what interests you and see how far you can go. If you want to do pure math and you are passing your math classes with decent grades or think that you could if you put in more effort, you will probably do fine. If you enjoy the subject and like to learn outside of class you will do at least as well as the average math major ( there are a few exceptions; I know a guy who has a very slim aptitude for math but has been pursuing a computer science degree for 6 years grinding through the prerequisite math and constantly repeating classes, but that seems to be pretty rare).

If you find that you have to keep repeating math classes in order to pass them in college, math might not be right for you, otherwise just persevere.

thrill3rnit3 said:

Well, I would not advise you to do what I did, or rather get did to me.
There was a unfortunate accident with a tractor at 6. I got clobbered
in the head and all the thoughts in my brain fell off the shelves
and broke. Gluing all the pieces back together has not been easy
or fully successful. Perhaps the rewiring cause my abstraction abilities.
And precluded others.

I think if you enjoy sunrises, beauty of the land, and what makes things
work you will do just fine because all of those things are abstract and
if you find a way to communicate them you will become a master
of the art of abstractions.

Related to How do you know if one is good at abstract thinking?

1. How do you define abstract thinking?

Abstract thinking is the ability to think creatively and conceptually, and to understand complex ideas and relationships. It involves thinking beyond the literal and concrete, and using imagination and intuition to solve problems and generate ideas.

2. Can abstract thinking be learned or is it innate?

Some people may have a natural inclination towards abstract thinking, but it can also be developed through practice and exposure to new ideas and concepts. It involves a combination of nature and nurture.

3. What are some signs that someone is good at abstract thinking?

People who are good at abstract thinking tend to be curious, open-minded, and imaginative. They are able to see the big picture and think outside of the box. They may also excel in fields such as art, design, and science.

4. How can you improve your abstract thinking skills?

One way to improve abstract thinking skills is to engage in activities that challenge your creativity and problem-solving abilities, such as puzzles, brainstorming, and creative writing. Also, exposing yourself to new ideas and perspectives can help broaden your thinking.

5. Is there a connection between abstract thinking and intelligence?

Abstract thinking is often associated with higher levels of intelligence, as it involves the ability to think critically and make connections between seemingly unrelated ideas. However, it is not the only measure of intelligence and there are many different types of intelligence.