How do you know a force if a force is radially symmetric?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of radial symmetry in relation to a force that depends on a radial distance "r" and has a radial component in the "er". The speaker is unsure of the exact meaning of radial symmetry and asks for clarification. It is determined that the force is radially symmetric if it remains the same at any point on a circle of radius "r" and if rotating the coordinate axes does not change the expression for force. This is also known as rotational symmetry. The examples of the B field around a wire carrying a current and different levels of radial symmetry are also mentioned.
Elvis 123456789
If a force only depends on a radial distance "r" and it only has a radial component in the "er" then is it radially symmetric? This pertains to some homework problem I have, but part of the problem is that I'm not exactly sure what is meant by "radially symmetric". I assume its asking if the force is the same at any point on a circle of radius "r". If the force only depends on "r" and its only in the radial direction then it would be radially symmetric, correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Elvis 123456789 said:
If a force only depends on a radial distance "r" and it only has a radial component in the "er" then is it radially symmetric?
Yes.

This pertains to some homework problem I have, but part of the problem is that I'm not exactly sure what is meant by "radially symmetric". I assume its asking if the force is the same at any point on a circle of radius "r". If the force only depends on "r" and its only in the radial direction then it would be radially symmetric, correct?
It is radially symmetric if the field maps onto itself under rotations. It is likely, if this is the first you've heard the term, that the specific symmetry being considered is that rotating the coordinate axes makes no difference to the expression for force.
This is also called "rotationally symmetric".

Note:
1. the B field about a wire carrying a current is radially symmetric - even though it does not point in the radial direction.
2. there are different amounts of radial symmetry

Related to How do you know a force if a force is radially symmetric?

1. What is a radially symmetric force?

A radially symmetric force is a type of force that acts equally in all directions from a central point or axis. This means that the force has the same magnitude and direction at all points located on the same distance from the center.

2. How is a radially symmetric force different from other types of forces?

A radially symmetric force is different from other types of forces, such as gravitational or electric forces, because it does not have a specific direction or orientation. Instead, it acts equally in all directions from a central point or axis.

3. How can you determine if a force is radially symmetric?

A force can be determined to be radially symmetric by examining its direction and magnitude at different points located at the same distance from the center. If the direction and magnitude are the same at all points, then the force is radially symmetric.

4. What are some examples of radially symmetric forces?

Examples of radially symmetric forces include tension in a rope or string that is pulled from both ends, normal force on a circular object, and the force exerted by a compressed or stretched spring.

5. How does radial symmetry impact the motion of an object?

If an object is subject to a radially symmetric force, it will experience the same amount of force in all directions. This means that the object will move along a circular path or remain at rest if the force is balanced. However, if the force is unbalanced, the object will experience acceleration towards or away from the central point, depending on the direction of the force.