How Do You Integrate Work with a Changing Angle Theta?

They have been working on this problem for days and are looking for any ideas on how to solve it. In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving w = f*d*cos(theta) where theta is changing and requires integration. The original poster knows the answer to the problem but has been struggling to find a solution for integrating with respect to theta. They have tried using a substitution and are seeking ideas for how to solve it.
morssolis
here is the problem. w= f*d*cos(theta). theta is changing so it involves integration.

p1.jpg

i know the answer its about 52. i know one solution for it but i have been trying to figure out how to solve it integrating with respect to theta. the way i know to solve it is let

cos(theta)= x / ((x^2)+(h^2))^(-1/2), then integrate this with respect to x with a u substitution.

i thought that the integral from theta at x1 to theta at x2 of F*d*cos(x) dtheta would work, however it does not. i have been trying to figure this out for days.

any ideas how you can solve this by integrating with theta as opposed to x?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]W=\int_{x1}^{x2}{F \cos{\theta} dx}[/tex]

It is easy to integrate by substituting u=x^2+h^2.

ehild

well thank you for the input however i know that already. i said that in the OP. i am trying to figure out how to integrate with respect to theta

F=T is constant. Substitute x / ((x^2)+(h^2))^(-1/2) for cos(theta) in the integral and calculate it.

ehild

for sharing your problem and solution with us. It seems like you have a good understanding of the concept and have already tried different approaches to solve it.

Integrating with respect to theta instead of x can be a bit tricky, but it is definitely possible. One way to approach this problem is to use the substitution method, where you substitute x = h*tan(theta) and then use the trigonometric identity cos^2(theta) = 1/(1+tan^2(theta)) to simplify the expression. This will result in an integral that is easier to solve with respect to theta.

Another approach could be to use the chain rule in reverse, where you differentiate the expression with respect to theta and then integrate it. This can be useful if the expression is not in a form that can be easily integrated using substitution.

I would also suggest breaking down the integral into smaller parts and solving them separately. This can help in simplifying the overall expression and making it easier to integrate.

Overall, solving problems involving non-constant theta can be challenging, but with persistence and different approaches, you will eventually find a solution. Best of luck!

Related to How Do You Integrate Work with a Changing Angle Theta?

1. What is work done?

Work done is the amount of energy transferred when a force is applied to an object and causes it to move in the direction of the force.

2. How is work done calculated?

Work done is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force.

3. What is non constant theta?

Non constant theta refers to situations where the angle between the force and the direction of motion is not constant. This can affect the amount of work done on an object.

4. How does non constant theta affect work done?

When theta is not constant, the force may not be applied in the same direction as the object's motion, leading to a decrease in the amount of work done on the object. This is because only the component of the force in the direction of motion contributes to the work done.

5. Can non constant theta result in negative work done?

Yes, in some cases non constant theta can result in negative work done. This occurs when the force is applied in the opposite direction of the object's motion, resulting in a negative value for work done. Negative work done indicates that energy is being taken away from the system rather than transferred to it.