How do you find the width needed for a plane mirror

In summary, the minimum width of the mirror for a person to see the full width of their face in one eye is 11.5 cm. If the person is willing to accept that they must use two eyes to see the full width of their face, the minimum width of the mirror is 18.1 cm.
angiep410

Homework Statement

a) You wish to have a plane pocket mirror that is as discreet as possible but with which you can see the whole width of your face. If your face is 23.0 cm wide, what is the minimum width, in cm, of the mirror for you to be able to see the whole width of your face in one eye?

b) What would be the minimum width of the mirror if you are willing to accept that you must use two eyes to see the full width of your face? (Take the distance between the centers of your eyes to be 6.60 cm.)

Homework Equations

I know that for a plane mirror the height needs to only be half the height of the person, but I haven't learned about width.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think part a's answer is 11.5 cm because that is half the width of the face and for the height you only need half the distance, but I don't know if that's right

Physics news on Phys.org
That is the correct answer for part a), but you should probably find out the reason behind it. Would your teacher expect you to use reasoning based on the rules of reflection of light? Or is it OK to just use the rule that the height of the mirror only has to be half the height of the object?

I would like to know the reason behind it and how to solve part B

Well, you know the rule for reflection of a ray of light from a flat mirror? (What are the angles of the incident and reflected ray?)

They aren't given. All that is given is what I have posted

Its a general rule, I'm sure you must know it. (Or I don't know why your teacher would have given out this problem).

To explain more clearly: I am talking about two angles. First: the angle between the incident ray and the normal to the mirror. Second: the angle between the reflected ray and the normal to the mirror. There is a very simple rule about these two angles.

The angle of incident=the angle of reflection

That's the one :) In fact, that is the only equation you need. You need to draw a picture of the situation (where the person's eye is effectively a point), and using the equation, you can work out the area which can be viewed when he uses a given mirror size.

Ah! That makes sense. But how do I find part B since I'm trying to find the width of the mirror?

You are finding the minimum width of the mirror (while still being able to see his whole face) for part A and B. The only difference is that in part B he has two eyes.

So would it still be 11.5?

no, he has two eyes now. You should draw the situation again, keeping in mind that light going into both eyes contributes to the picture he is able to see.

I drew the picture, but I don't think I did it right. Would it be 18.1?

That's not the correct answer. I'm really sorry, but I'm off to the pub now, I won't be replying for a while. I hope you figure it out!

Did you find out the answer to part b yet? What is your picture like?

Related to How do you find the width needed for a plane mirror

1. How do you measure the width needed for a plane mirror?

The width needed for a plane mirror can be measured by using a ruler or measuring tape. Simply measure the distance between the two points where the mirror will be placed and use that measurement as the width for the mirror.

2. What factors should be considered when determining the width for a plane mirror?

When determining the width needed for a plane mirror, factors such as the size of the object being reflected, the angle of incidence, and the desired field of view should be taken into consideration. These factors will help determine the appropriate width for the mirror.

3. Can the width of a plane mirror be adjusted?

Yes, the width of a plane mirror can be adjusted by simply moving the mirror closer or further away from the object being reflected. However, the width should be carefully chosen to provide the best reflection without distorting the image.

4. How does the width of a plane mirror affect the reflected image?

The width of a plane mirror can affect the size and clarity of the reflected image. A wider mirror will provide a larger field of view and a clearer image, while a narrow mirror may result in a smaller and distorted image.

5. Is there a standard width for a plane mirror?

There is no standard width for a plane mirror, as it can vary depending on the specific application and desired outcome. It is important to carefully consider the factors mentioned above when determining the appropriate width for a plane mirror.