How do you find the degree of displacement?

In summary, the problem involves a girl traveling a total of 5 blocks west, 4 blocks north, and 7 blocks east. The magnitude of her displacement is 4.472135955 blocks, which was found to be correct. To find the direction of her displacement, measured from due east with counterclockwise positive, she can either use a protractor to find the angle or use trigonometry to calculate it.
hypoovenmitts
A girl travels 5 blocks west, 4 blocks north, then 7 blocks east. It asked to solve for the magnitude of her displacement and I got 4.472135955 blocks, which was correct. The next part of the problem however asks to "Find the direction (measured from due east, with counterclockwise positive) of her displacement. Answer in units of degrees."

I just began physics last and my teacher didn't go over this. I know the displacement is northwest, but I don't know how to find the degrees of it. Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
It amounts to 2 blocks east and 4 north. Draw a triangle with these sides. Then you just have to find the angle in the triangle (at the beginning, from straight east up to the hypotenuse which you found to be 4.47 long. If your diagram is drawn accurately, you can find the angle with a protractor.

Or you can use trigonometry to find the angle. Here is a very quick rundown on trigonometry:

SOA means sine(angle) = opposite side/adjacent side
CAH means cosine(angle) = adjacent side/hypotenuse
TOA means tangent(angle) = opposite side/adjacent side

You decide which of these three relates sides you know to the angle you want to find (all three work in this case). Figure out the right hand side by dividing, then use the inverse SIN, inverse COS or inverse TAN key on your calculator to get the angle. Careful, advanced calculators may need to be put into degree units to get answers in degrees.

Related to How do you find the degree of displacement?

1. How do you measure displacement?

Displacement can be measured by finding the distance between the initial and final positions of an object. This can be done using a ruler, measuring tape, or other measuring tools.

2. What is the formula for finding the degree of displacement?

The formula for finding displacement is displacement = final position - initial position. This will result in a value with units of length, such as meters or feet.

3. How do you find the initial and final positions of an object?

The initial position of an object can be determined by noting its starting point or location. The final position can be determined by measuring its ending point or location. Both of these positions are needed to calculate displacement.

4. Can displacement be negative?

Yes, displacement can be negative. This indicates that the object has moved in the opposite direction of its initial position. For example, if an object starts at position 10 and ends at position 5, the displacement would be -5.

5. How is displacement different from distance?

Displacement is a vector quantity that measures the change in position of an object, while distance is a scalar quantity that measures the overall length of the path an object travels. Displacement takes into account the direction of movement, while distance does not.