How Do You Find the Coefficient \( a_2 \) in a Polynomial Transformation?

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, a polynomial representation is a mathematical expression that uses variables, constants, and operations to represent a polynomial function. The constants can be found using the method of coefficients. It is useful for modeling and analyzing real-world situations, as well as performing mathematical operations. However, it can only be used for polynomial functions and may not be the most efficient or accurate representation for all types of functions.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Here is this week's POTW:

-----

The polynomial $1-y+y^2-y^3+\cdots+y^{16}-y^{17}$

may be written in the form $a_0+a_1x+a_2x^2+\cdots+a_{16}x^{16}+a_{17}x^{17}$, where $x=y+1$ and $a_i$ are constants.

Find $a_2$.

-----

Remember to read the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
Congratulations to the following members for their correct solutions::)

1. MarkFL
2. lfdahl

Solution from MarkFL:
Let:

\(\displaystyle f(y)=\sum_{k=0}^{17}\left((-y)^k\right)\)

Hence, using $-y=1-x$, we may write:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=\sum_{k=0}^{17}\left((1-x)^k\right)=\frac{1}{x}\left(1-(x-1)^{18}\right)\)

Now, we may observe that this may be written in the form:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=\sum_{k=0}^{17}\left(a_{k}x^k\right)\)

where:

\(\displaystyle a_k=(-1)^k{18 \choose k+1}\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle a_2={18 \choose 3}=816\)

Alternate solution from lfdahl:
\[1-y+y^2-y^3+ ...+y^{16}-y^{17} = \sum_{k=0}^{17}(-1)^ky^k=\sum_{k=0}^{17}(-1)^k(x-1)^k=\sum_{k=0}^{17}(1-x)^k \\\\ =\sum_{k=0}^{17}\sum_{i=0}^{k}\binom{k}{i}(-x)^i\]

Counting the number of $x^2$ using Pascals triangle formula (for $i=2$ and $k \ge 2$):

\[a_2 = \binom{2}{2}+\binom{3}{2}+...+\binom{17}{2} = \sum_{j=2}^{17}\binom{j}{2} \\\\= 1+3+6+10+15+...+120+136 \\\\= 1 + (1+2)+(1+2+3)+ ...+(1+2+3+...15+16) \\\\= 1 + (2+1)\frac{2}{2}+(3+1)\frac{3}{2}+(4+1)\frac{4}{2}+...+(16+1)\frac{16}{2} \\\\= \frac{1}{2}\sum_{k=1}^{16}(k+1)k \\\\= \frac{1}{2}\sum_{k=1}^{16}k^2+\frac{1}{2}\sum_{k=1}^{16}k \\\\= \frac{1}{2}\frac{16(16+1)(32+1)}{6}+\frac{1}{2}(16+1)\frac{16}{2} \\\\= 816.\]

anemone said:
Congratulations to the following members for their correct solutions::)

1. MarkFL
2. greg1313

Solution from MarkFL:
Let:

\(\displaystyle f(y)=\sum_{k=0}^{17}\left((-y)^k\right)\)

Hence, using $-y=1-x$, we may write:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=\sum_{k=0}^{17}\left((1-x)^k\right)=\frac{1}{x}\left(1-(x-1)^{18}\right)\)

Now, we may observe that this may be written in the form:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=\sum_{k=0}^{17}\left(a_{k}x^k\right)\)

where:

\(\displaystyle a_k=(-1)^k{18 \choose k+1}\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle a_2={18 \choose 3}=816\)

Alternate solution from greg1313:
\[1-y+y^2-y^3+ ...+y^{16}-y^{17} = \sum_{k=0}^{17}(-1)^ky^k=\sum_{k=0}^{17}(-1)^k(x-1)^k=\sum_{k=0}^{17}(1-x)^k \\\\ =\sum_{k=0}^{17}\sum_{i=0}^{k}\binom{k}{i}(-x)^i\]

Counting the number of $x^2$ using Pascals triangle formula (for $i=2$ and $k \ge 2$):

\[a_2 = \binom{2}{2}+\binom{3}{2}+...+\binom{17}{2} = \sum_{j=2}^{17}\binom{j}{2} \\\\= 1+3+6+10+15+...+120+136 \\\\= 1 + (1+2)+(1+2+3)+ ...+(1+2+3+...15+16) \\\\= 1 + (2+1)\frac{2}{2}+(3+1)\frac{3}{2}+(4+1)\frac{4}{2}+...+(16+1)\frac{16}{2} \\\\= \frac{1}{2}\sum_{k=1}^{16}(k+1)k \\\\= \frac{1}{2}\sum_{k=1}^{16}k^2+\frac{1}{2}\sum_{k=1}^{16}k \\\\= \frac{1}{2}\frac{16(16+1)(32+1)}{6}+\frac{1}{2}(16+1)\frac{16}{2} \\\\= 816.\]

Hi MHB,

I mistook lfdahl's submission of a solution to last week's Secondary School/High School POTW problem as greg1313's and therefore I made a slip in the declaration of the names of those who correctly answered last week's POTW (High School) problem.

In an effort to correct this egregious error, please accept my heartfelt apology, lfdahl, our POTW's ardent fan, and I would also like to extend a sincere thank you to another loyal member, greg1313 for your PM informing me about it.

Related to How Do You Find the Coefficient \( a_2 \) in a Polynomial Transformation?

1. What is a polynomial representation?

A polynomial representation is a mathematical expression that uses variables, constants, and operations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication to represent a polynomial function. It is written in the form of ax^n + bx^(n-1) + ... + cx + d, where a, b, c, and d are constants and n is a non-negative integer.

2. How do you find the constants in a polynomial representation?

To find the constants in a polynomial representation, you can use the method of coefficients. This involves setting up a system of equations using the given points and solving for the coefficients using algebraic methods.

3. What is the point of using polynomial representation?

Polynomial representation is useful because it can be used to model and analyze real-world situations, as well as perform mathematical operations and find solutions to equations. It also provides a concise and organized way to present complex mathematical expressions.

4. Can polynomial representation be used for any type of function?

No, polynomial representation can only be used for polynomial functions. These are functions that have a finite number of terms, each of which is a constant or a variable raised to a non-negative integer power. Other types of functions, such as exponential or trigonometric functions, require different representations.

5. Are there any limitations to using polynomial representation?

One limitation of polynomial representation is that it can only be used for functions that have a finite number of terms. It is also not always the most efficient or accurate way to represent a function, especially for functions with complex shapes or behavior. In these cases, other types of representations, such as graphs or tables, may be more useful.