How do you find the center of mass for an object with multiple parts?

In summary: So I have a question. This is just my rough idea but does this mean that the given answer is wrong? In summary, the conversation discusses finding the center of mass for two different scenarios. The first scenario involves finding the center of mass for a given image, using the equations X = Ʃ(m1x1...) / Ʃ(m1...) and Y = Ʃ(m1y1...) / Ʃ(m1...). The second scenario involves finding the center of mass for a human body, using the equation X = Ʃ(m1x1...) / Ʃ(m1...). The conversation also includes a discussion on different methods for solving these problems, as well as a clarification on the
PhysicForFun

Homework Statement

1. Find of the center of mass of the image below.
CoM.png

2. A human head weighs 8lbs, a human torso weighs 20lbs, and a human's hips and legs weighs 20lb. The headis 10m long, the torso is 25m long, and the hips and legs are 35m long. Find the center of mass of the body.

Homework Equations

X = Ʃ(m1x1...) / Ʃ(m1...)
Y = Ʃ(m1y1...) / Ʃ(m1...)

The Attempt at a Solution

Sorry I couldn't find a clear example. I have two different methods given to solve these problems, so I wouldlike clarification.

1. X = (2kg)(2m) + (.5kg)(5m) / (2kg + .5kg) = 2.6m
Y = (2kg)(2m) + (.5kg)(1m) / (2kg + .5kg) = 1.8m
So this one took the problems into point masses. Then solved for them.

X1= (2kg)(0m) + (2kg)(4m) / (2kg + 2kg) = 2m
Y1 = (2kg)(0m) + (2kg)(4m) / (2kg + 2kg) = 2m
X2 = (.5kg)(4m) + (.5kg)(6m) / (.5kg + .5kg) = 5m
Y2 = (.5kg)(0m) + (.5kg)(2m) / (.5kg + .5kg) = 1m

2. X = (8lb)(10m) + (20lb)(25m) + (20lb)(35m) / (8lb + 20lb + 20lb) = 26.6m

Why does it just use the lengths instead of combining them, or even taking the half-way point? Maybe I misinterpretted the problem? I assumed this at first.

X = (8lb)(5m) + (20lb)(17.5m) + (20lb)(52.5m) / (48lb) = 30m
But I guess those shapes can't be divided perfetcly in half. But why is it not
X = (8lb)(10m) + (20lb)(35m) + (20lb)(70m) / (48lb) = 45m
This clearly is too big to be logical.

Could someone explain this? Or link me to some CoM problems that aren't using point masses. I think thepoint masses are sort of self-explanatory, but I can't find good examples otherwise.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You get the centre of mass by multiplying the mass of a piece with the distance of the CM of that piece from a reference point. As nothing has been specified about the shape of the pieces you can asume that their CM is at the middle. If you measure the distance from the head-top of the human,

is correct, but it means the distance from the same reference point.

By the way, what unit is "m"?

meter, but clearly that was wrong. It was probably inches lol.

So the answer page that has the solution above should just be ignored? I mean it also seems like a plausible answer. The math just doesn't make sense.

ehild said:

Why is it 17.5 and nor 22.5 ??

You are right, it was a mistake. So X=(8lb)(5m) + (20lb)(22.5m) + (20lb)(52.5m) / (48lb) = 32m

ehild

Ok thanks. That math makes a lot more sense then the given answer.

Related to How do you find the center of mass for an object with multiple parts?

1. What is the center of mass?

The center of mass is a point in an object or system where the mass is evenly distributed in all directions. It is often referred to as the "balance point" or the "center of gravity."

2. Why is the concept of center of mass important?

The concept of center of mass is important because it helps us understand the overall motion of an object or system. It is also crucial in determining the stability and balance of an object, as well as predicting its rotational motion.

3. How do you calculate the center of mass?

The center of mass can be calculated by taking the sum of all the individual masses in an object or system, and multiplying them by their respective distances from a reference point. This value is then divided by the total mass of the object or system.

4. Can the center of mass be outside of an object?

Yes, the center of mass can be outside of an object if the mass is not evenly distributed. This is often the case for irregularly-shaped objects or systems with multiple masses.

5. How does the center of mass relate to stability?

The center of mass plays a crucial role in determining the stability of an object or system. If the center of mass is located above the base of support, the object or system is stable. However, if the center of mass is outside the base of support, the object or system is unstable and may topple over.