How do you find average value of normal acceleration?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the average value of normal acceleration using the given information. The equations used are a^{→}_{ave}= Δv^{→}/Δt and a_{t}=Δv/Δt. The attempt at a solution involved taking the difference of given angles in radians and dividing it twice by Δt, but the resulting answer was incorrect. The discussion then turns to finding the normal component of ordinary acceleration, with the suggestion to use the direction halfway between the two velocities.
gikiian

Homework Statement

Find average value of Normal Acceleration from the information given. (See the picture)

Homework Equations

[itex]a^{→}_{ave}= Δv^{→}/Δt[/itex]

[itex]a_{t}[/itex]=Δv/Δt

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the difference of the given angles in radians and divided it twice by Δt and get 3.6 rad/[itex]s^{2}[/itex] but the answer was wrong as expected. Please help.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 482
Physics news on Phys.org
hi gikiian! :smile:

no, rad/s2 is angular acceleration, isn't it?

you need the normal component of the ordinary (linear) acceleration :wink:

Hey tiny-tim!

I have successfully obtained the linear acceleration vector. Would you now like to tell me with respect to what entity should I compute the normal component of it?

Hey tiny-tim!

I have successfully obtained the linear acceleration vector. Would you now like to tell me with respect to what entity should I compute the normal component of it?

my inclination would be to use the direction halfway between the two velocities

You can'y do that.

Related to How do you find average value of normal acceleration?

1. How is average value of normal acceleration calculated?

The average value of normal acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This results in the average rate of change of the velocity, which is the average value of normal acceleration.

2. What is normal acceleration?

Normal acceleration is the measure of how quickly the velocity of an object changes in the direction perpendicular to its motion. It is also known as centripetal acceleration.

3. Why is it important to find the average value of normal acceleration?

Knowing the average value of normal acceleration is important because it helps us understand the overall motion of an object. It can also be used to calculate other important quantities such as centripetal force.

4. Can the average value of normal acceleration be negative?

Yes, the average value of normal acceleration can be negative. This means that the velocity is decreasing in the direction perpendicular to its motion. It is important to note the direction of the acceleration when interpreting its value.

5. How is normal acceleration related to tangential acceleration?

Normal acceleration and tangential acceleration are two components of total acceleration. Normal acceleration is perpendicular to the motion of an object, while tangential acceleration is parallel to the motion. Together, they determine the total acceleration of an object in circular motion.