How do you find acceleration with F=mg and F=ma?

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation F=ma=mg and how to cancel out the masses and forces. It is mentioned that in the case of gravity, g represents acceleration. The person is unsure about the equation and asks for clarification. The expert summarizes that in this case, a=g. The person then asks for further clarification and the expert is unsure about the question being asked.
Dylan Ekman
I know that you have to cancel out the masses and forces but still unsure how the equation goes

Physics news on Phys.org
F=ma=mg

m cancels so

a=g

If that's not what you are asking post the whole problem.

Well a is acceleration. In the specific case of gravity g is acceleration. So I guess you aren't asking us to point at the equation and say "there it is". I imagine it is too simple minded to believe that you just want us to invert the equations for you?

a = F/m or g = F/m. ?

Ok, the answer to the question you seem to be asking is too trivial. I think I missed something. What are you asking again?

Related to How do you find acceleration with F=mg and F=ma?

1. How do you find acceleration using F=mg?

The equation F=mg represents the force of gravity (F) acting on an object with mass (m) near the surface of the Earth. To find acceleration using this equation, divide the force (F) by the mass (m). This will give you the acceleration due to gravity (g) in meters per second squared (m/s²).

2. How do you find acceleration using F=ma?

The equation F=ma represents Newton's second law of motion, which states that the acceleration (a) of an object is directly proportional to the net force (F) acting on the object and inversely proportional to the object's mass (m). To find acceleration using this equation, divide the force (F) by the mass (m). This will give you the object's acceleration in meters per second squared (m/s²).

3. Can you use F=mg and F=ma interchangeably to find acceleration?

No, F=mg is used specifically to calculate the acceleration due to gravity, while F=ma is used to calculate the acceleration of an object in any given situation.

4. How does the direction of the force affect the acceleration?

The direction of the force will determine the direction of the acceleration. If the force and the acceleration are in the same direction, the object will speed up. If they are in opposite directions, the object will slow down. If the force and acceleration are perpendicular, the object will change direction but not speed up or slow down.

5. What are the units for acceleration when using F=mg and F=ma?

The units for acceleration when using F=mg and F=ma are both meters per second squared (m/s²). This represents the amount of acceleration or change in velocity an object experiences per second.