How Do You Factor the Expression 27x^9y^3 - 8z^6?

• Thread starter sn3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factoring
In summary, the conversation is discussing how to factor the expression 27x^9y^3-8z^6. The participants suggest using the difference of two cubes formula, which can be proven by expanding the second side. They also discuss substituting variables and using polynomial division. Ultimately, the conversation ends with the suggestion to try and solve the problem without giving away the solution.
sn3
This is an incredibly stupid question, but how do you factor something like:

[tex]27x^9y^3-8z^6[/tex]

I'm thinking somewhere along the lines of finding the cube root but that doesn't sound right. Any ideas on how to help me factor this? I don't need an answer, just how to do it. Sorry if this is stupid, but I can't seem to figure it out.

Physics news on Phys.org
sn3 said:
I'm thinking somewhere along the lines of finding the cube root but that doesn't sound right.
Rather than speculate whether or not an idea will work, you should try it and be sure.

Hmm...I mentioned the cube root because I noticed it could make the equation simpler, but I honestly don't know what to do.

sn3 said:
Hmm...I mentioned the cube root because I noticed it could make the equation simpler, but I honestly don't know what to do.
What equation? You wrote an expression that is a difference of two terms, no equations.

Anyways, you had an idea. Did you try to use it? If not, then go do so. If you have tried your idea, then where did you get stuck?

Remember that

[tex]\alpha^2-\beta^2 = (\alpha-\beta)(\alpha+\beta)[/tex]

Last edited:
I'd rather try:
[tex]\alpha^3-\beta^3 =[/tex]

Notice, that 27 isn't a square of an integer. I may be wrong but in my opinion the equation I've written is better ...

[tex]\alpha^3-\beta^3 =(\alpha - \beta)(\alpha^2+\alpha\beta + \beta^2)[/tex] which can be proved by expanding the second side.

So we just substitute [itex]3x^3y = \alpha[/itex] and [itex]2z^2=\beta[/itex]

Try it, see what you get.

Last edited:
Bart, Gib Z:

The reason I didn't say that was because I didn't want to give it away. Getting the OP to think about the squares would ideally lead to him/her thinking about how to factorise the difference of two cubes.

It isn't nice to solve a problem when somebody else does it for you.

Gib Z said:
[tex]\alpha^3-\beta^3 =(\alpha - \beta)(\alpha^2+\alpha\beta + \beta^2)[/tex] which can be proved by expanding the second side.

Try it, see what you get.

Actually it's proven by polynomial division.

Daniel.

Hurkyl said:
What equation? You wrote an expression that is a difference of two terms, no equations.
Sorry about that - I meant expression.
Gib Z said:

That gives me [tex]3x^3y-2z^2(9x^6y^2+6x^3y^2+4z^4)[/tex], which appears to be correct.

masudr said:
The reason I didn't say that was because I didn't want to give it away. Getting the OP to think about the squares would ideally lead to him/her thinking about how to factorise the difference of two cubes.

It isn't nice to solve a problem when somebody else does it for you.

So this equation works for when the numbers happen to have cube roots, but what if they don't (such as [tex]28x^79y^5-18z^4[/tex]). My calculator (TI89), which is absolutely great, can do it, but I want to know how.

It can be "proved" (shown to be true) either way, but multiplying (expanding) the right hand side is the simpler.

Related to How Do You Factor the Expression 27x^9y^3 - 8z^6?

1. What is factoring?

Factoring is the process of breaking down a mathematical expression into simpler terms. In this case, we are looking to break down the expression 27x^9y^3-8z^6 into smaller terms.

2. Why do we need to factor expressions?

Factoring expressions allows us to solve equations, simplify complicated expressions, and identify common factors that can help us find solutions to problems.

3. What does the 27, 9, 3, and 8 in the expression represent?

The numbers in the expression represent the coefficients, which are the numbers in front of the variables. In this case, 27 is the coefficient of x, 9 is the coefficient of x^9, 3 is the coefficient of y^3, and 8 is the coefficient of z^6.

4. How do we factor an expression with multiple variables?

To factor an expression with multiple variables, we need to first look for any common factors among the terms. In this case, we can see that both terms have a factor of z^6, so we can factor out z^6. Then, we can factor out the common factor of 3x^9y^3, leaving us with the factored expression 3x^9y^3(9-8z^6).

5. How can factoring help us solve equations?

Factoring can help us solve equations by making them easier to work with and allowing us to see common factors that can be used to simplify the equation. In this case, we can see that the factored expression can be set equal to 0 and solved for z, giving us solutions to the original equation.