How Do You Determine Which Battery Has the Most Stored Charge?

In summary, the battery with the most stored charge is battery d) with a rating of 6V and 0.01MAh. This is because Ah, which stands for Amp-hours, is a measure of the amount of charge available, while volts is a measure of the energy that can be obtained per coulomb. Therefore, the higher the Amp-hour rating, the more charge is stored in the battery.
Lildon

Homework Statement

Which of the following batteries has the most stored charge? Their ratings are shown below. Explain your answer.
a) 12V, 500mAh
b) 1.2V, 1200uAh
c) 6V, 3.14159x10e17 electrons
d) 6V, 0.01MAh

2. The attempt at a solution
I think the answer is d because 0.01MAh = 10,000Ah. I'm not sure if this is even right or how to explain it. I haven't really been taught anything about this and all of my experience is from searching the internet for information.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: the higher the ampere-hour, the longer the battery will last.

The question asks which battery has the most charge.
Ah means Amps x hours which means (coulombs/sec) x hours
which gives charge = (coulombs/sec) x hours x 60 x 60

That means the answer would be D because it has the highest Amp-hours. So the amount of volts has no affect on stored charge?

There are a few things about this question. First, electrochemical cells don't store charge, they store energy in the form of chemical energy. But I know what they mean.
Second, it is obvious here (I think), but often ratings are printed carelessly, and M may sometimes stand for milli-, you can't always assume manufacturers mean mega-. To manufacture a battery rated at 10,000 Ah would make it a colossal size. Maybe something from a submarine?

Volts is not a measure of the current you can draw, in the way it's meant here. So it is only amp-hour capacity that you need to consider.

I agree...voltage has nothing to do with the amount of charge that can be obtained.
Ah tell you how many coulombs of charge are available.
Voltage tells you how much ENERGY can be obtained per coulomb

Related to How Do You Determine Which Battery Has the Most Stored Charge?

1. What is stored charge in a battery?

Stored charge in a battery refers to the amount of electrical energy that is stored and can be released when the battery is connected to a circuit.

2. How is the stored charge in a battery measured?

The stored charge in a battery is typically measured in units of ampere-hours (Ah) or coulombs (C). It can also be measured in terms of the battery's voltage and capacity.

3. What affects the amount of stored charge in a battery?

The amount of stored charge in a battery is affected by its chemical composition, size, temperature, and age. It also depends on how much charge has been used or discharged from the battery.

4. Can stored charge in a battery be recharged?

Yes, most batteries can be recharged by supplying electrical energy to them. This process reverses the chemical reactions that occur during discharge and restores the stored charge in the battery.

5. How long can stored charge in a battery last?

The duration of stored charge in a battery varies depending on its type and usage. Some batteries can hold their charge for several years, while others may only last for a few hours. Factors such as storage conditions and the number of charge-discharge cycles can also affect the lifespan of a battery's stored charge.