How Do You Determine Partition Points Using the Composite Trapezoidal Rule?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find partition points and use the composite trapezoidal rule to calculate the integral of a function with given limits. It also touches on the concept of choosing a step size for Euler's method and the trade-off between accuracy and workload. The conversation concludes that the number of partitions used depends on the desired accuracy and workload, and for some functions, the choice of partition points may be guided by the function's derivative.
Hiche
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask..

Anyway.

Assume we have some integral I with 0 and 2 as limits. I = 3∫xexdx from 0 to 2. What exactly do we have to do to find the partition points (and what are they?) but using the composite trapezoidal rule? I = 25.1671683 upon computing normally.

Another unrelated question. In Euler's method for approximation, how do we choose our h value? The smaller the h is, the better the approximation, but is there a way to compute it from a given IVP?

Physics news on Phys.org
We don't, We can use whatever number of partitions we want (the more partitions the better the approximation) and whatever partition points we want. For simplicity we often choose them equally spaced but for some functions we might be guided by the function. For example, the error in using a "nth" order method (Euler's method is 1st order, trapezoidal rule is 2nd order, Simpson's rule is 3rd order) is proportional to the nth derivative. if there are some intervals on which that nth derivative changes sharply, and others where it is close to level, we might choose more partition points in those intervals with sharp increase or decrease, fewer where the derivative doesn't change much. But we choose those points, we don't "calculate" them.

As for Euler's method, as you say, the smaller h is, the better the approximation. But also, of course, since you have to do the same calculations on each interval, the more work you do. There is no way to "compute it from the given IVP" because the IVP does not know how accurate a solution you need or how much work you are willing to do. Those are things you have to decide.

In fact, the accuracy of the trapezoid methods increases as the number of intervals squared, Simpson's method as the number of intervals cubed which is why we would prefer to use Simpson's method- but the number of intervals still depends on how much accuracy you want and how much work you are willing to do.

I = 3∫xexdx from 0 to 2. What exactly do we have to do to find the partition points (and what are they?) but using the composite trapezoidal rule? I = 25.1671683 upon computing normally.
I take it that by "computing normally", you mean "finding and evaluating an anti-derivative". It's easy to integrate that "by parts" to get the exact answer [itex]3(e^2+ 1)[/itex] which, evaluated at 2 and 0, is just about that number you give.
Again, the more partitions you use (and I would use equally spaced partition points for simplicity) the more accurate your result but the more work you will have to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How Do You Determine Partition Points Using the Composite Trapezoidal Rule?

1. What is a "Partition Point" in science?

A Partition Point is a scientific term that refers to the point at which a system, such as a chemical reaction or a physical process, undergoes a significant change in behavior or properties. This can be observed through a sudden change in a graph, such as a sharp increase or decrease in a line.

2. How is a Partition Point determined in an experiment?

A Partition Point is determined through careful data analysis and observation of the system under study. Scientists look for patterns and changes in the data collected, and use statistical methods to identify the point at which a significant change occurs. This can also be confirmed through multiple trials and experiments.

3. Can a Partition Point be predicted or controlled?

In most cases, a Partition Point cannot be predicted or controlled as it is a natural occurrence in a system. However, through a deeper understanding of the underlying mechanisms and factors that contribute to the Partition Point, scientists may be able to manipulate or influence it in some cases.

4. What are some examples of Partition Points in different scientific fields?

Partition Points can be found in various scientific fields, such as biology, chemistry, physics, and ecology. In biology, a Partition Point can be observed in the growth of cells or the onset of a disease. In chemistry, it can be seen in a chemical reaction or the separation of different compounds. In physics, it can be observed in phase transitions or changes in energy states. In ecology, it can be seen in the distribution of species or the impact of environmental factors on an ecosystem.

5. How is a Partition Point important in scientific research?

A Partition Point is important in scientific research as it can provide valuable insights and understanding of the behavior and properties of a system. It can also help in identifying critical points or thresholds that can have significant consequences on a larger scale. Understanding Partition Points can also lead to the development of new theories and applications in various fields of science.