How Do You Determine Parameters for a Non-Linear Friction Model?

In summary: Your Name]In summary, friction in mechanical systems can be described using a combination of Coulomb, Stribeck, and viscous models. The input parameters for these models, such as breakaway friction force, viscous friction coefficient, and transition approximation coefficient, can be determined experimentally or estimated using theoretical methods. However, it's important to validate the model with experimental data to ensure accuracy.
maxpower2008
Hey all, I'm cross-posting this in the materials and mechanical engineering section because I feel like this might be a good question for both places.

I'm trying to develop a physical model of a mechanical system in MapleSim, and have the questions about the friction model used. This isn't a software question, but more trying to understand the math of a non-linear friction model.
The model itself is a sum of the Coulomb friction (the familiar F= uN component), as well as Stribeck and viscous effects.
As a result, the model requires input parameters such as breakaway friction force, viscous friction coeff., and transition approx. coeff.
My question is: How can I get numbers for these values? I have some performance data for my system but what do I need to know to find numbers for those input parameters? Can they only be determined experimentally?

Thanks in advance,
-Max

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hi Max,

Great question! Friction is a complex phenomenon and there are various models that can be used to describe it. In your case, it seems like you are using a combination of Coulomb, Stribeck, and viscous models to describe the friction in your mechanical system.

To answer your question, the values for the input parameters can be determined experimentally, but there are also some theoretical methods that can be used to estimate them. The breakaway friction force, for example, can be estimated by measuring the force required to initially move the system from rest. The viscous friction coefficient can be determined by measuring the velocity of the system and the resulting force. The transition approximation coefficient can be estimated using theoretical models or by comparing the performance data of your system to similar systems with known coefficients.

It's important to note that these values may not be completely accurate, as friction is affected by many factors such as surface roughness, temperature, and lubrication. Therefore, it's always best to validate your model with experimental data to ensure accuracy.

I hope this helps and good luck with your model!

I can provide some insight into the non-linear friction model you are working with. Non-linear friction models are commonly used in mechanical systems to account for the complex behavior of friction, which is not always a constant force and can vary with factors such as velocity and surface conditions. The model you are using, which includes Coulomb, Stribeck, and viscous effects, is a good representation of real-world friction.

To answer your question about obtaining values for the input parameters, experimentation is often the best approach. This involves conducting physical tests on your system and measuring the friction at different velocities and surface conditions. This data can then be used to determine the values for breakaway friction force, viscous friction coefficient, and transition approximation coefficient.

Another approach is to use existing data from similar systems or materials. This can provide a starting point for your model, but it is important to keep in mind that these values may not be directly applicable to your specific system.

It is also worth mentioning that these parameters may not be constant and can change over time due to wear and other factors. Therefore, it is important to regularly monitor and update these values as needed.

In conclusion, obtaining values for the input parameters of a non-linear friction model often requires experimentation or using existing data. It is important to regularly monitor and update these values to ensure the accuracy of your model.

Related to How Do You Determine Parameters for a Non-Linear Friction Model?

1. What is a non-linear friction model?

A non-linear friction model is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the frictional force and the relative velocity between two surfaces in contact. Unlike linear friction models, non-linear models take into account the complex behavior of friction at different velocities and loads.

2. How is a non-linear friction model different from a linear friction model?

A linear friction model assumes that the frictional force is directly proportional to the relative velocity, while a non-linear model takes into account the non-linear relationship between friction and velocity. This means that a non-linear model can better predict the frictional behavior at different velocities and loads.

3. What factors are included in a non-linear friction model?

A non-linear friction model typically includes parameters such as the coefficient of friction, the normal force, and the relative velocity between the two surfaces. It may also take into account other factors such as surface roughness and temperature.

4. How is a non-linear friction model used in practical applications?

Non-linear friction models are commonly used in engineering and design to predict the behavior of materials and surfaces in contact. They can also be used in simulations and computer models to optimize designs and reduce friction and wear in mechanical systems.

5. What are the limitations of a non-linear friction model?

Non-linear friction models are based on assumptions and simplifications, so they may not accurately represent the real-world behavior of friction in all situations. They also require accurate input data and can be computationally expensive to use in simulations.