How Do You Determine if a Meteoroid Has an Open Orbit?

In summary, using energy calculations, it was found that the velocity of the meteoroid when it is infinitely far away from the sun is 0 m/s.
Workout

Homework Statement

A meteoroid with a velocity (when the effect of the Earth's gravity has been eliminiated) of 49.9 km/s when it is at a distance of 1.50x10^11m from the sun.

(a) Using energy calculations show that this object has an open orbit and is therefore not restricted to our solar system
(b) Calculate what the velocity of this meteoroid would be when it was infinitely far away from the sun

Homework Equations

v = sqrt (2GM/r)

The Attempt at a Solution

For (a) I just plugged in v = 49 900 m/s
G = constant
r = 1.50x10^11m

And I solved for M which was 9.33x10^30 kg which doesn't equal the Earth of the mass so that shows that it isn't part of our solar system.

Then for (b) I used the same equation I used above and plugged in r = infinity which eventually leads to 0. So does the v eventually go to v = 0 m/s?

Physics news on Phys.org
The first part of the problem says to use energy calculations. So, find the meteroid's energy, and compare it to how much energy is needed to escape the Sun. Don't forget to include kinetic and potential energy.

I used the energy formula E = KE + U
= 1/2mv^2 - GmM/r
E = 1/2v^2 - GM/r

Then I plugged in my knowns
v = 49900 m/s
G = 6.67x10^-11
M = 5.98x10^24 kg
r = 1.50x10^11m

So the energy of the meteroid in the Earth's circuit should be 1.25x10^9 J

So for the comparison do I compare it to the escape velocity? Because it doesn't workout because E = 0. A little confused.

Last edited:
Workout said:
Here I assume E = 0 because it said that the meteroid is not in our solar system so it's escape velocity right? So then my formula provided is the energy formula for escape velocity.
You have the formula for escape velocity:

ve = sqrt(2 G M / r)

and the velocity of the meteoroid is given:

vm = 49 kph

so what do you think the next step should be to determine if the meteroid has achieved escape velocity?

For the last part of the problem, you could also use the formula for gravitation potential or gravitational potential energy versus distance from the sun.

Do I get the escape velocity and compare it to the velocity of the meteoroid?

Workout said:
So for the comparison do I compare it to the escape velocity? Because it doesn't workout because E = 0. A little confused.

What would the energy of an object at that location at escape velocity be?

Workout said:
Do I get the escape velocity and compare it to the velocity of the meteoroid?
Yes.

rcgldr said:
Yes.

Thank you.

rcgldr said:
Yes.

Except that the problem says to use energy calculations.

tms said:
Except that the problem says to use energy calculations.

So that would change this to

1/2 m ve2 = G M m / r = - GPE of meteroid

1/2 m vm2 = 1/2 m (49900)2 = KE of meteroid

Related to How Do You Determine if a Meteoroid Has an Open Orbit?

1. What is Escape Velocity?

Escape velocity is the minimum velocity needed for an object to escape the gravitational pull of a celestial body, such as a planet or moon. It is the speed at which an object must travel in order to break free from the planet's gravitational force and continue moving away from it.

2. How is Escape Velocity calculated?

The formula for calculating escape velocity is v = √ (2GM/r), where v is the escape velocity, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the planet, and r is the distance from the object to the center of the planet.

3. Why is Escape Velocity important?

Escape velocity is important because it determines whether or not an object can successfully escape the gravitational pull of a celestial body. It is also essential for space missions, as it helps scientists and engineers determine the amount of energy and thrust needed to launch a spacecraft into orbit or beyond.

4. Can Escape Velocity be exceeded?

Yes, it is possible for an object to exceed escape velocity. However, this does not mean that it will escape the gravitational pull of the celestial body. Other factors, such as air resistance and the gravitational pull of other objects, can affect the object's trajectory and prevent it from escaping completely.

5. How does Escape Velocity vary on different celestial bodies?

Escape velocity varies depending on the mass and size of the celestial body. For example, the escape velocity on Earth is 11.2 km/s, while on the moon it is only 2.4 km/s. This is because the moon has less mass and a weaker gravitational pull compared to Earth.