How Do You Derive the Equation for a Traveling Sinusoidal Wave?

In summary, the conversation discusses a sinusoidal wave traveling along a string at a frequency of 50Hz and velocity of 24m/s. The displacement and velocity of a certain point on the string are given at a specific instant, and the equation for the wave is derived using this information. The second part of the question involves finding the minimum distance between a point on the string and the starting point x=0, given that the point has an acceleration of 2000m/s² 3ms before the specified instant. After some calculations, the minimum distance is determined to be -55mm.
moonkey

Homework Statement

A sinusoidal wave of frequency 50Hz travels along a string at a velocity of 24m/s. At a given instant the displacement and velocity of a certain point in the string are 22mm and 1.6m/s respectively.

Taking the certain point and given instant to be x=0, t=0 derive the traveling wave equation which gives the displacement of any point on the string as a function of position x and time t.

A point in the string has an acceleration of 2000m/s², 3ms before the instant specified above. What is the minimum distance possible between this point and the point x=0?

Homework Equations

From the information given what I know is

f=50Hz, v=24m/s, λ=0.48m, ω=314.16/s, k=13.09/m

Equation for sinusoidal wave:

y(x,t)=ASin(ωt-kx+φ)

The Attempt at a Solution

I managed to derive the traveling wave equation as

y=-0.02258Sin(314.16t-13.09x-1.343)

where A=-0.02258, φ=-1.343

The answer in the back of the book is

y=-0.02258Sin(13.09x-314.16t-1.343)

Am I right in thinking that both those equations are the same thing?The biggest problem I'm having is the second part of the question.

Here's what I've done (the answer in the back of the book is -55mm)

y=ASin(ωt-kx+φ)

dy/dx=-ωACos(ωt-kx+φ)

d²y/dy²=-ω²ASin(ωt-kx+φ),

where d²y/dy²=acceleration = 2000m/s² and t=3ms=0.003s

so subbing in my knowns and rearranging I get:

arcSin[2000/(-(314.16²)*(-0.02258)) - 314.16*(-0.003) + 1.343]/-13.09 = x

x=-0.2597Help please

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind. Figured it out. My differentiation was wrong

Related to How Do You Derive the Equation for a Traveling Sinusoidal Wave?

1. What is a sinusoidal wave?

A sinusoidal wave is a type of wave that has a repeating pattern with a constant amplitude and frequency. It is represented by a sine or cosine function and is commonly seen in nature, such as in sound waves and light waves.

2. How do you solve sinusoidal wave problems?

To solve sinusoidal wave problems, you need to understand the properties of a sinusoidal wave, such as amplitude, frequency, and wavelength. You also need to know the equations for calculating these properties and how to use them to solve for unknown variables in the problem.

3. What is the difference between a sinusoidal wave and a simple harmonic motion?

A sinusoidal wave is a type of wave that travels through space, while simple harmonic motion refers to the back-and-forth movement of an object around a fixed point. Sinusoidal waves can be used to describe simple harmonic motion, but not all simple harmonic motion can be described as a sinusoidal wave.

4. How does the amplitude affect a sinusoidal wave?

The amplitude of a sinusoidal wave represents the maximum displacement of the wave from its equilibrium position. A larger amplitude means a more intense wave, while a smaller amplitude means a less intense wave. Changing the amplitude also changes the energy and frequency of the wave.

5. What are some real-life applications of sinusoidal waves?

Sinusoidal waves have many practical applications, such as in sound and light technologies, communication systems, and medical imaging. They are also used in fields like engineering, physics, and mathematics to model and understand various phenomena, such as sound waves, electromagnetic radiation, and oscillatory motion.