How Do You Convert Numbers from Base 8 to Base 2?

• Thread starter multiix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, the conversation is about converting numbers between different bases, specifically base 8 to base 2. The individual is struggling with converting numbers other than base 10 and asks for help in understanding how to do it step by step. The equations and work for converting 456 base 8 to base 2 are shown, but the individual is unsure if this is the correct method. Another individual suggests doing arithmetic in the correct base or converting to base 10 first and then to binary, which results in the correct answer of 100101110. The first individual asks if there is any other way to do it without converting to base 10, and the second individual explains that it is possible as long as appropriate arithmetic is used.
multiix
Hi guys I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, so if its not please redirect me.

We are learning Number system conversions and I am having trouble converting anything other than base 10 to other bases. Ex base 8 to base 2.
I tried converting say 456 base 8 to base 2
This is not a homework question so
If you would like to post a General equation please go ahead. I just want to understand how to do this
Step by step.

Equations:
I'm currently writing things in the form Q and R chart

Work:
456 I try converting that to base 10, I get 302 then I divide by 2, I get 151 remainder 0 but I'm not sure if this is the correct way because I remember my teacher dissecting the 456 into 3 different number 4,5,6 and dealing with them separately. Also if I don't know if the 151 that I got is base 10 or 8

Please Help. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
You must do your arithmetic in the correct base. Do do your conversion you must do base 8 arithmetic.

Another way would be to convert the base 8 to base 10 (using base 10 arithmetic) then convert the base 10 number to binary.

Oh ok. I got it that way. Thank you :)

Is there any other way of doing it without converting to Base 10 first? Not that it's hard

You can go directly between any 2 bases as long as you use appropriate arithmetic.

Hi there,

I understand your struggles with number system conversions. It can be confusing and overwhelming to learn at first, but with practice and a clear understanding of the process, you will be able to convert numbers easily.

Firstly, it's important to understand the base system. In base 10, we use 10 digits (0-9) to represent all numbers. In base 8, we use 8 digits (0-7) and in base 2, we use 2 digits (0-1). So when converting from one base to another, we have to keep this in mind and make sure we are using the correct digits.

Now let's look at how to convert from base 8 to base 2. As you mentioned, your teacher dissected the number 456 into 3 different numbers (4, 5, 6) and dealt with them separately. This is the correct approach.

Step 1: Convert each digit from base 8 to base 10.
4 base 8 = 4 base 10
5 base 8 = 5 base 10
6 base 8 = 6 base 10

Step 2: Convert each base 10 number to base 2.
4 base 10 = 100 base 2
5 base 10 = 101 base 2
6 base 10 = 110 base 2

Step 3: Combine the converted numbers to get the final answer.
456 base 8 = 100101110 base 2

So to summarize, when converting from base 8 to base 2, you have to first convert each digit from base 8 to base 10, and then from base 10 to base 2. You can also use the general equation (Q and R chart) to help you with the process.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the process of converting numbers in different bases. Keep practicing and you will become more comfortable with it. Good luck!

Related to How Do You Convert Numbers from Base 8 to Base 2?

1. What is a number system conversion?

A number system conversion is the process of changing a number from one numerical system to another. This typically involves converting a number from its original base to a different base, such as converting from decimal (base 10) to binary (base 2).

2. Why do we need to convert numbers between different systems?

Different number systems have different uses and applications. For example, binary is commonly used in computer programming, while decimal is used in everyday math. Converting between systems allows us to work with numbers in the most efficient and appropriate way for a given situation.

3. What is the most common number system conversion?

The most common number system conversion is from decimal to binary, or vice versa. This is because computers use binary to represent and process data, while humans typically use decimal. Other common conversions include decimal to hexadecimal and binary to octal.

4. How do I convert a number from one system to another?

The method for converting numbers between systems varies depending on the specific systems involved. However, the general process involves breaking down the original number into its base components and then translating those components into the new base. There are many online tools and conversion calculators available to help with this process.

5. What is the importance of understanding number system conversions?

Understanding number system conversions is important for a variety of fields, including computer science, mathematics, and engineering. It allows for efficient and accurate calculations and data manipulation, as well as a deeper understanding of different numerical systems and their relationships. Additionally, knowledge of number system conversions can be useful in everyday life, such as when working with different units of measurement or currencies.