How Do You Convert GeV/c to m/s for Particle Velocities?

• Thread starter iamBevan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convert
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of velocity for a particle with a momentum between 23 and 150 GeV/c. One suggested method is to use the equation E^2 = (mc^2)^2 + (pc)^2 and then solve for beta and velocity. However, there is confusion about the correct units to use for mass and momentum, and how to incorporate the rest mass of the particle. The proper equation is p = mv/√(1-v^2/c^2).
iamBevan
As the title said :)

I'm trying to find the velocity of a particle with a momentum of between 23 and 150 GeV/c. I found that 1 GeV/c = 5.36 x 10^-19 kg-m/s, and tried to divide by the mass of the particle - this just game me values between 7m/s and some crazy numbers.

What am I doing wrong :(

Physics news on Phys.org
One way is to use the relation
[tex] E^2=\left(mc^2 \right)^2+\left(pc \right)^2 [/tex]
where [itex] pc [/itex] is 23 to 150 GeV (momentum in energy units), and [itex] mc^2 [/itex] is the particle's rest mass (proton is 0.938 GeV). Then use [itex] \beta =pc/E [/itex] to get [itex] \beta [/itex], and [itex] v=\beta c [/itex].

Last edited:
Thank you for your help Bob S - I still can't manage to get the answer though.

When I set m to 5.5208x10^27kg, and p to 25GeV/c I end up getting a value that is faster than c when I solve for v. Can anyone help with this?

If 1 GeV/c = 5.36 x 10-19 kg-m/s though, why can't I do 25(5.36x10^-19)/particle's mass?

Using the relation
[tex] E^2=\left(mc^2 \right)^2+\left(pc \right)^2 [/tex]
where [itex] pc= [/itex] 50 GeV and [itex] mc^2= [/itex] 0.938 GeV, E = 50.008798 GeV.
So β= 50/ 50.008798= 0.99982 and βc = 2.9974 x 1010 cm/sec

iamBevan said:
If 1 GeV/c = 5.36 x 10-19 kg-m/s though, why can't I do 25(5.36x10^-19)/particle's mass?

Because p ≠ mv, if you're using the particle's "rest mass" in kg. The correct equation is

$$p = \frac{mv}{\sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}}$$

Related to How Do You Convert GeV/c to m/s for Particle Velocities?

1. What is the formula for converting GeV/c into m/s?

The formula for converting GeV/c into m/s is:
1 GeV/c = 3 x 10^8 m/s

2. How do I convert a specific value of GeV/c into m/s?

To convert a specific value of GeV/c into m/s, simply multiply the value by 3 x 10^8.

3. Why is the conversion factor for GeV/c to m/s 3 x 10^8?

The conversion factor for GeV/c to m/s is 3 x 10^8 because it is the speed of light in a vacuum, which is a fundamental constant in physics.

4. Can I use this conversion for any unit of GeV/c, such as MeV/c or TeV/c?

Yes, you can use this conversion for any unit of GeV/c. Just remember to include the appropriate prefix when multiplying by the conversion factor. For example, 1 MeV/c = 3 x 10^5 m/s and 1 TeV/c = 3 x 10^11 m/s.

5. Is there a difference between GeV/c and m/s?

Yes, GeV/c and m/s are different units of measurement. GeV/c is a unit of energy (gigaelectron volts), while m/s is a unit of speed (meters per second). However, they can be converted from one to the other using the conversion factor of 3 x 10^8 m/s per 1 GeV/c.