How Do You Construct the Dual Basis in Dirac Notation?

In summary, the homework statement asks for the construction of the complex conjugate of <a|> in terms of the dual basis (kets 1,2,3). First, the column vector |a> is decomposed into its component vectors i, -2, -i. Then, the inner product of these vectors is calculated. Finally, the complex conjugate of <a|> is found by integrating over the appropriate limits.
Gumbercules

Homework Statement

my apologies if this question should be posted in the math forum
3-d space spanned by orthonormal basis: (kets) |1>, |2>, |3>. Ket |a> = i|1> - 2|2> - i|3>. Ket |b> = i|1> + 2|3>.

The question is to construct <a| and <b| in terms of the dual basis (kets 1,2,3)

Homework Equations

given above

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my first time seeing this kind of notation, and I am honestly not quite sure what the question is asking. I read that <a| is a linear function of vectors and that when it acts on a ket it produces a dot product. This also means that the bra can be seen as an instruction to integrate. In order to produce <a| would I integrate a*a?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of the orthonormal basis kets as unit vectors in your 3-d space. A "ket" is a column vector and a "bra" is a row vector. In your example

|a> = i|1> - 2|2> - i|3>

says to me that the ordered "components" of "vector" |a> are (i, -2, -i). [Imagine this as a column 3x1 matrix - I don't know how o make matrices in Latex]. If you wanted to write the same thing as a bra you would say [and this is truly a row 1x3 vector]

<a| = (-i, -2, +i)

Note that the bra is the "complex-conjugate transpose" of the ket.

We write the inner product as a "bra-ket" just like the good-old dot product (matrix multiplication of the 1x3 times the 3x1 which gives a 1x1 or scalar)

<a|a>= (-i)*(i)+(-2)*(-2)+(+i)*(-i) = 1+4+1=6 (stars in this line mean "times" not "complex conjugate")

You can put in functions for |a> = fa(x), in which case

[tex]<a|a> =\int f^{*}_{a}(x)f_{a}(x)dx [/tex]

where the integration over the appropriate limits.

This should get you started.

This makes sense. Thank you!

Related to How Do You Construct the Dual Basis in Dirac Notation?

What is Dirac notation and why is it used?

Dirac notation, also known as bra-ket notation, is a mathematical notation used in quantum mechanics to represent quantum states, operators, and inner products. It is a convenient and concise way to write complex mathematical expressions involving vectors and linear operators.

What are the components of Dirac notation?

Dirac notation consists of two parts - the bra <a| and the ket |b>. The bra represents the complex conjugate of a vector, while the ket represents the vector itself. Together, they form a bra-ket pair, also known as a bracket.

What is the significance of Dirac notation in quantum mechanics?

Dirac notation is an essential tool in quantum mechanics because it simplifies and streamlines complex calculations. It also allows for the easy representation of physical quantities, such as energy and momentum, as operators acting on quantum states.

How do you perform basic operations using Dirac notation?

To perform basic operations using Dirac notation, you can use the following rules:
- Addition: <a| + |b> results in a new ket |c>, where |c> = |a> + |b>
- Multiplication: <a| |b> results in a complex number c, where c = <a|b> (inner product)
- Scalar multiplication: c |a> results in a new ket |c a>, where |c a> = c |a>
- Bra-ket multiplication: <a| B |b> results in a new ket |c>, where |c> = B |b> and c is a complex number
- Hermitian conjugate: (|a>) results in a new bra <a|, where <a| = (|a>)
- Normalization: To normalize a ket |a>, divide it by its norm <a|a> to get |a> / <a|a>
Note: <a|a> represents the inner product of <a| with itself, and it is always a positive real number.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using Dirac notation?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using Dirac notation include:
- Not paying attention to the order of bra and ket in a bra-ket pair
- Forgetting to take the Hermitian conjugate when necessary
- Confusing the inner product <a|b> with the outer product |a> <b|
- Not normalizing the kets before performing calculations
- Using the wrong notation for operators (e.g., using a ket instead of a bra for an operator)
- Mixing up the notation for complex conjugation (e.g., using |a> instead of <a|)