How do you check that Colour is Conserved?

• Thread starter DoubleHelix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Colour
In summary, the conversation discusses the task of examining processes according to the Standard Model and checking for the conservation of energy, baryon number, color, lepton number, quark flavor, and symmetries. The process of checking for color conservation involves ensuring that all observed particles are color singlets and that the total color charge adds up to zero. Examples are given to illustrate how color conservation is maintained in particle interactions.
DoubleHelix
I'm asked to examine a set of processes and determine if they are possible/impossible according to the Standard Model. So I have to check that energy, baryon number, color, lepton number, quark flavor and the symmetries are conserved. I'm fine with all of these but how do you go about checking if color is conserved? I thought the colors could be assigned arbitrarily so is it just if you can't find a combination that works is it impossible?

e.g. proton + anti-proton -> pion(+) + pion(-)
ignoring the other conservation laws for now, you know (or can atleast deduce) that quark combinations of each particle (where a particle in brackets in an anti-particle or anti-color),
uud + (u)(u)(d) -> u(d) + (u)d

so could you just arbitrarily say that the colour combination is,
RGB + (R)(G)(B) -> R(R) + (R)R
and thus color is conserved

Could somebody give me an example of a process that obeys everything besides color conservation so I know what I'm looking for?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
As long as you conserve baryon number, color conservation takes care of itself. It's ust a matter of picking a consistent color assignment.

The observed particles are all color singulets (color-neutrality; this is different from the color confinement). This follows strictly from the SU(3) color gauge symmetry and the Gauss law constraint which enforces a color singulet condition. Colored states would transform non-trivially w.r.t. color gauge transformations.

So in order to observe color non-conservation one would first expect to find asymptotic colored states (which would violate color-neutrality individually). Second one would expect that the total color charge (of the individual states) does not add up to zero.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, that makes sense.

Related to How do you check that Colour is Conserved?

1. How is color conservation defined in science?

Color conservation in science refers to the principle that the total amount of color (or light) in a closed system remains constant over time. This means that color cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed.

2. What is the importance of checking for color conservation in experiments?

Checking for color conservation is important in experiments because it ensures that the results obtained are accurate and reliable. If color is not conserved, it could indicate a flaw or error in the experiment, leading to incorrect conclusions.

3. How do you measure color conservation in an experiment?

To measure color conservation, scientists use spectrophotometry, which measures the amount of light of each color (wavelength) that is absorbed or transmitted through a sample. By comparing the initial and final measurements, scientists can determine if color has been conserved.

4. What factors can affect color conservation in an experiment?

Several factors can affect color conservation in an experiment, including the type of substances used, the conditions of the experiment (e.g. temperature, pressure), and the presence of any catalysts or reactants that may cause color changes.

5. How can scientists ensure that color is conserved in their experiments?

To ensure color conservation in experiments, scientists must carefully control and monitor all variables, use precise measurements, and follow proper experimental procedures. It is also important to repeat experiments and verify results to ensure accuracy.