How Do You Calculate Workforce Growth and Total Wages Over Time?

In this case, the fault lies in the description of the problem: the woman does not hire three more employees at the start of week 2, rather she hires 3 more employees at the end of week 2. Then your list becomes:50 50 53 56 59 62 65 68 71 74 77 80 83 86 89 :smile:So, for the total wage bill, you have 14 terms, with an average of 69.5 employees, at a rate of $600 per week. So, the total wage bill is 14*69.5*600 = 588,600. :smile:
songoku

Homework Statement

A woman started a business with a workforce of 50 people. Every two weeks the number of people in the workforce increased by 3 people. How many people were there in the workforce after 26 weeks?
Each member of the workforce earned $600 per week. What was the total wage bill for this 26 weeks?

Homework Equations

Un = a + (n - 1) d
Sn = n/2 (a + Un)

The Attempt at a Solution

Number of terms = 26 / 2 = 13
Number of people = 50 + (13 - 1) x 3 = 86 --> wrong The answer is 89. I don't understand

first week = 50 people
second week = 50 people
third week = 53 people
and so on...
Then, total wage bill = 13/2 (50 + 89) x 2 x 600 = 1 084 200 ---> wrong. :cry: The answer is 1 341 600

Please help me. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
hi songoku! :wink:
songoku said:
A woman started a business with a workforce of 50 people. Every two weeks the number of people in the workforce increased by 3 people. How many people were there in the workforce after 26 weeks?

Number of people = 50 + (13 - 1) x 3 = 86 --> wrong The answer is 89.

why (13 - 1) ? :confused:

she started with 50

after 2 weeks, 50 + 1*3 = 53

after 26 weeks, 50 + 13*3 = 89 :smile:

tiny-tim said:
hi songoku! :wink:why (13 - 1) ? :confused:

she started with 50

after 2 weeks, 50 + 1*3 = 53

after 26 weeks, 50 + 13*3 = 89 :smile:

hi tiny-tim :wink:

Because every two weeks the number of people in the workforce increased and there are 26 weeks, so I thought the number of terms = 26 / 2 = 13. Then by using Un = a + (n - 1) d, I got 86. Why can I do it this way?

never mind the formula,

you're not reading the English properly :redface:

it clearly says that she starts with 50, and only gets another 3 at the end of the first 2 weeks …

that's 14 terms! :smile:

tiny-tim said:

never mind the formula,

you're not reading the English properly :redface:

it clearly says that she starts with 50, and only gets another 3 at the end of the first 2 weeks …

that's 14 terms! :smile:

hi tiny-tim :wink:
oh yes yes yes. I misinterpreted the question. But I still don't know how to find the total bill. Thanks

Since you miscalculated the total workforce after 26 weeks, don't you think you should re-calculate the total wages, now that you know how many people are working at a given time?

All too often, students give up after the first try at something.

SteamKing said:
Since you miscalculated the total workforce after 26 weeks, don't you think you should re-calculate the total wages, now that you know how many people are working at a given time?

All too often, students give up after the first try at something.

I am not so sure what you mean but if you look at my first post, you would see that I used 89 workforce instead of 86. I already used the correct answer for calculating the total wage bill and still got the wrong answer.

And in my calculation, I used 13 as number of terms, not 14 because I thought at the beginning, the workforce didn't work so no wage spent. The wage starts from first week until 26th week so there is 26 terms. I have written my calculation in first post. Please show me my mistake.

Thanks

hi songoku! :smile:
songoku said:
Then, total wage bill = 13/2 (50 + 89) …

this formula is wrong …

you need the average of the original amount (50) and the final amount (50 + …)

so you shouldn't halve the 50 :redface:

tiny-tim said:
hi songoku! :smile:

this formula is wrong …

you need the average of the original amount (50) and the final amount (50 + …)

so you shouldn't halve the 50 :redface:

hi tiny-tim :smile:

I don't understand what you meant...:redface:

This is my thought:
number of workforces from 1st week until 26th week:
50 50 53 53 56 56 59 59 62 62 65 65 68 68 71 71 74 74 77 77 80 80 83 83 86 86

eh, why did I get 86 instead of 89 workforces at the end of 26th week?? I think I made mistake here but I couldn't figure it out...let me think about it for a while

Thanks

Hello songoku. The problem is not well worded, so it's not all your fault that you are not getting the "right" answer. :smile: It relies on a tiny nuance in the language.

It would be better if the teacher had written the problem as "during every two week period" the number of employees increases by 3. That way, it would be clear that by the end of the first two weeks there will be 53 employees.
songoku said:
This is my thought:
number of workforces from 1st week until 26th week:
50 50 53 53 56 56 59 59 62 62 65 65 68 68 71 71 74 74 77 77 80 80 83 83 86 86
__^^

It is a really good idea to write things out fully, like you have here, because it allows you to compare reality with the mathematics, and determine where the fault lies.

Related to How Do You Calculate Workforce Growth and Total Wages Over Time?

What is an arithmetic progression?

An arithmetic progression is a sequence of numbers where the difference between any two consecutive terms is the same. This difference is called the common difference and is denoted by 'd'.

How do you find the nth term of an arithmetic progression?

The general formula for the nth term of an arithmetic progression is: an = a1 + (n-1)d. Here, a1 is the first term and d is the common difference. For example, in the sequence 2, 5, 8, 11, 14, the first term is 2 and the common difference is 3. So, the formula for finding the 7th term would be a7 = 2 + (7-1)3 = 20.

What is the sum of an arithmetic progression?

The sum of an arithmetic progression is given by the formula: Sn = (n/2)(a1 + an). Here, n is the number of terms, a1 is the first term, and an is the nth term. For example, in the sequence 2, 5, 8, 11, 14, the sum of the first 5 terms would be S5 = (5/2)(2 + 14) = 40.

How do you determine if a sequence is an arithmetic progression?

To determine if a sequence is an arithmetic progression, you need to check if the difference between any two consecutive terms is the same. If it is, then the sequence is an arithmetic progression.

How is arithmetic progression used in real life?

Arithmetic progression is used in many real-life situations, such as calculating interest on a loan, planning a budget, and predicting patterns in data. It is also commonly used in mathematics and computer programming.