How Do You Calculate Work on an Incline with Friction and Angled Forces?

In summary: F*cos(phi) =mg*sin(theta)+uNCorrect.using these two equations and solving for F i get F=(mg*sin(theta)+ u*mgcos(theta))/(cos(phi))-u*sin(phi))That looks right. In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the work done in pushing a mass up an incline, taking into account the coefficient of kinetic friction and the direction of the applied force. It is determined that the work done by the total force is the sum of the work done by each individual force, with the work done by the applied force being equal to its component along the incline multiplied by the displacement. The conversation also discusses
Callisto
Hi all,

I need help with question

I need to calculate the work done in pushing a mass up an incline a distance d with slope theta, when the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.1 and the force is directed 1) parallel to the slope, 2) the force is directed at an angle phi to the slope?

I know that when ignoring friction the work done is is given by mgh, where h=d*sin(theta). However I'm getting confused on how to determine the problem with the additional forces.

can anyboby offer some tips on how i could solve this problem.

Callisto :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
The work done is the work done by the total force. And the work done by the total force is the sum of the work done by each force individually.

You are right about the work being done by the "human" force being mgh but more easier would be to find the work of that force using the definition of work, i.e. that

[tex]W_{human force}=F_{human}dcos\theta[/tex]

In case a), [itex]\theta = 0[/itex] because the vector d is parallel to the vector F. and so the work is just Fd.

Remember that the vector frictionnal force is ANTI-parallel to the vector displacement always. This means that [itex]\theta = 180° = \pi[/itex].

You do the math for [tex]W_{friction}[/tex].

Last edited:
I'm really sorry,but I'm still completely stumped!
do i need to include the work done by the force of gravity as well?
is the work done by the frictional force given by uk*mgcos(theta)?

I really don't understand

Callisto ;/

In each case, calculate what that applied force F must be to have equilibrium (no acceleration). Then the work done by that force is simply its component along the incline times the displacement d.

Note: the frictional force is u*N, where N is the normal force. It's different in each case.

So the applied force F must be mg and it's component along the incline is mg*sin(theta). The normal force is mg*cos(theta).
so mg*sin(theta)-u*mg*cos(theta) gives the net force.
am i right??
still a bit stumped
Callisto`1

Actually if the block is going up the slope gravity (the component) acts against it too

Don't get it
This is killing me!

ARRRGGGGHH!

Do it systematically. Start by identifying all the forces acting on the mass. Here's what I see: weight (acting down), normal force, friction (acting down the incline), and the applied force F.

In case 1, the applied force F is parallel to the incline. So write the conditions for equilibrium and find out what F must be. The work is then just Fd. Try it.

Alright, for case 1
i get F=mg*sin(theta)+u*mgcos(theta)

Case 2 is difficult but...
N=mg*cos(theta)+F*sin(phi) since F*sin(phi) is the component of the applied force normal to the incline.
then the component of the applied force parallel to the incline plane is

F*cos(phi) =mg*sin(theta)+uN

using these two equations and solving for F i get

F=(mg*sin(theta)+ u*mgcos(theta))/(cos(phi))-u*sin(phi))

My brain hurts!

Callisto said:
Alright, for case 1
i get F=mg*sin(theta)+u*mgcos(theta)
Looks good.

Case 2 is difficult but...
N=mg*cos(theta)+F*sin(phi) since F*sin(phi) is the component of the applied force normal to the incline.
I assumed that phi is an angle above the incline, so I would say:
N=mg*cos(theta) - F*sin(phi)

Related to How Do You Calculate Work on an Incline with Friction and Angled Forces?

1. What is the relationship between work and mass on an incline?

The relationship between work and mass on an incline is described by the formula W = mgh, where W is the work done (in joules), m is the mass (in kilograms), g is the gravitational acceleration (9.8 m/s^2), and h is the height of the incline (in meters). This means that the work done is directly proportional to the mass and height of the incline.

2. How does the angle of the incline affect the work done?

The angle of the incline affects the work done by changing the vertical height of the incline. The greater the angle, the greater the height and therefore the greater the work done. This is because the work done is also dependent on the height of the incline, as shown in the formula W = mgh.

3. What is the significance of the coefficient of friction in work on an incline?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the resistance to motion between two surfaces. In work on an incline, it affects the amount of work done by creating a force that opposes the movement of the object on the incline. The greater the coefficient of friction, the more work is required to move the object up the incline.

4. How does the acceleration of the object affect the work done on an incline?

The acceleration of the object affects the work done by changing the time it takes for the object to reach a certain height on the incline. The greater the acceleration, the faster the object will reach a certain height, resulting in more work being done in a shorter amount of time.

5. Can the work done on an incline be negative?

Yes, the work done on an incline can be negative. This occurs when the object moves downhill on the incline, as the force of gravity is acting in the opposite direction of the movement. In this case, the work done is considered negative because the energy is being released instead of being added to the system.