How do you calculate work in a vertical rope and mass problem?

In summary, the problem involved finding the work done by the tension in a vertical rope when lowering a mass at a constant acceleration. The first attempt correctly calculated the tension as -235.276 N and the work done as -625.83416 J. The second attempt was incorrect due to using the wrong direction of the tension. The correct answer should be negative due to the tension being opposite of the weight.
greyradio
[SOLVED] Work problem

A vertical rope is used to lower a mass 44.9 kg at a constant acceleration of magnitude 4.57 m/s2. Find the work done by the tension in the cord if the mass moves down distance 2.66 m.

W = F (change in X)

First, I tried to get the tension by:

-T + mg = ma
- T = ma - mg
T = -ma + mg
T = - (4.57 m/s^2)(44.9 kg) + (44.9 kg) (9.81 m/s^2)
T = 235.276 N

W = T (change of x)
W = 235.276 N (2.66 m) = 625.83416

However this seems to be wrong so my second attempt

T -mg = ma
T = ma + mg
T = 645.662 N

W = T (change of x)
W = 645.662 N (2.66 m) = 1717.46092

It seems I'm doing something wrong or overlooking a vital piece of information, I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
The first attempt looks good to me, except that the work done would be negative.

I can't find anything wrong with your first attempt. It looks correct. The second attempt IS wrong. It would be right if mass were accelerating 4.57m/sec^2 in an upwards direction. But it doesn't look like that's what the question is asking. Have you tried just changing the number of significant figures in the answer?

yeah it seems i was using the incorrect direction of the tension since it is opposite of the weight then it should be negative. Thanks.

Related to How do you calculate work in a vertical rope and mass problem?

1. What is the work problem on rope & mass?

The work problem on rope and mass is a physics problem that involves calculating the amount of work done on an object by a rope when it is pulled or lifted. It takes into account the mass of the object, the force applied by the rope, and the distance over which the force is applied. This problem is commonly encountered in real-life situations such as lifting weights or pulling objects with ropes.

2. How do you calculate the work done on an object by a rope?

To calculate the work done on an object by a rope, you need to multiply the force applied by the rope by the distance over which the force is applied. The formula for work is W = F*d, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance. The unit for work is joules (J).

3. What is the relationship between work and mass in the work problem on rope & mass?

The mass of an object does not directly affect the amount of work done on it by a rope. However, the mass does affect the amount of force needed to lift or pull the object, which in turn affects the work done. The greater the mass, the greater the force required, and therefore, the more work is done on the object by the rope.

4. Can the work problem on rope & mass be solved without knowing the mass of the object?

Yes, the work problem on rope and mass can be solved without knowing the mass of the object. This is because the mass does not directly affect the calculation of work. However, knowing the mass can help in determining the amount of force needed to lift or pull the object, which can then be used in the work calculation.

5. How is the direction of the force applied by the rope taken into account in the work problem on rope & mass?

In the work problem on rope and mass, the direction of the force applied by the rope is taken into account by using the dot product of the force vector and the displacement vector. This ensures that only the component of the force in the direction of the displacement is used in the work calculation. If the force is perpendicular to the displacement, no work is done.