How Do You Calculate Work and Force for a Displaced Mail Bag?

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with a work/energy problem involving a suspended mail bag and a vertical rope. The person is unsure how to calculate the necessary horizontal force and work done by a worker in moving the bag to a specific position. They mention knowing the angle and tension in the rope, but are unsure of their calculations. They also mention that this is for a Mastering Physics problem and have already received a wrong answer.
melodrameric
Hi there, I'm new here, and I desperately need help with this work/energy business. Here's my problem:

A mail bag with a mass of 140 kg is suspended by a vertical rope of length 8.00 m.
a) What horizontal force is necessary to hold the bag in a position displaced sideways a distance 3.00 m from its initial position?
b) How much work is done by the worker in moving the bag to this position?

I know that the angle from the vertical will be 22 degrees, and that the tension in the rope will be 1272 N (or am I wrong?), but I don't know where to go from there.

By the way, this is for a Mastering Physics problem, and I've already found out that 476.5 N [1272*cos(68)]is a wrong answer.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You got the tension wrong, that's all. It looks like your method is OK.

Hi there,

It seems like you have a good understanding of the problem and have identified the necessary information. To solve this problem, we can use the concepts of work and kinetic energy.

To answer part a), we can use the formula for work, which is W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is displacement. In this case, the displacement is 3.00 m and the force needed is what we are trying to find. We also need to consider the angle of the rope, which is 22 degrees from the vertical. This means that the horizontal component of the tension force (1272 N) will be what contributes to the displacement. So we can use the formula F = Tcosθ, where F is the horizontal force, T is the tension force, and θ is the angle from the vertical. Plugging in the values, we get F = 1272cos(22) = 1208.5 N.

For part b), we need to calculate the work done by the worker in moving the bag to the new position. We can use the same formula, W = Fd, where F is the same as we calculated in part a) and d is the displacement of 3.00 m. So the work done is W = 1208.5 * 3.00 = 3625.5 Joules.

I hope this helps and good luck with your Mastering Physics problem! Remember to always check your units and use the correct formulas. Let us know if you have any further questions.

Related to How Do You Calculate Work and Force for a Displaced Mail Bag?

1. What is the difference between work and kinetic energy?

Work is the amount of energy transferred when a force is applied over a certain distance, while kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. In other words, work is a measure of the change in energy, while kinetic energy is a type of energy.

2. How are work and kinetic energy related?

Work and kinetic energy are closely related, as work done on an object will result in a change in its kinetic energy. The work-energy theorem states that the net work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy.

3. How is work calculated using kinetic energy?

Work can be calculated using the equation W = ΔKE, where W represents work and ΔKE represents the change in kinetic energy.

4. What are some examples of work and kinetic energy in everyday life?

Some examples of work and kinetic energy in everyday life include a person pushing a shopping cart, a car driving on a road, and a ball being thrown. In each of these situations, work is being done and kinetic energy is being transferred.

5. How does work and kinetic energy apply to machines?

In machines, work is done to transfer energy from one part to another, resulting in the machine's output. This output can be in the form of kinetic energy, such as a car's motion, or potential energy, such as a spring being compressed. The efficiency of a machine is determined by how much of the input work is converted into useful output work.