How Do You Calculate Wave Parameters for a Transverse Sinusoidal Wave?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a transverse sinusoidal wave moving along a string with a speed of 80 m/s. At t = 0, the string particle at x = 0 has a displacement of 4.2 cm and is not moving. The maximum transverse speed at x = 0 is 18 m/s. The problem asks for the values of f, λ, y_m, k, ω, and ϕ in the wave formula. The person attempting to solve the problem converted all units to meters and used the formula u_m=ωy_m to find ω. However, after recalculating, the person realized they had switched the denominator and numerator in one of the calculations
Qudos
[itex][/itex]

Homework Statement

A transverse sinusoidal wave is moving along a string in the positive direction of an x-axis with a speed of 80 m/s. At t = 0, the string particle at x = 0 has a transverse displacement of 4.2 cm from its equilibrium position and is not moving. The maximum transverse speed of the string particle at x = 0 is 18 m/s.
It asks to solve for f,λ,[itex]y_{m}[/itex],k,ω, and [itex]\phi[/itex] in the wave formula

Homework Equations

y(x, t) = [itex]y_{m}[/itex] sin(kx ± ωt + [itex]\phi[/itex])

The Attempt at a Solution

Since it says at t and x = 0 the displacement is 4.2cm and stopped moving i assumed that meant that it had reached its max displacement. I then used [itex]u_m=ωy_m[/itex]
for the max transverse speed and solved for ω, which i put into the formula
f=[itex]\frac{ω}{2\pi}[/itex] which gave me [itex]0.00367s^-1[/itex], and solving for wavelength using [itex]λ=\frac{v}{f}[/itex] gave me 21827m which doesn't seem right, I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong, any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Oh and btw i converted all the cm to m before calculating.

Physics news on Phys.org
You wrote,

u_m=ωy_m (why can't I copy and paste your formulas intact? Oh well)

Did you mix units, the displacement was given in cm and the velocity in m/s ? We want everything in cm or m.

Yes i converted 4.2cm to 0.042m, then divided 18m/s by 0.042m to get a very large ω value of 428.6

Ok, i calculated again and i think i switched the denominator with the numerator in something. Seems to be more reasonable now.
Thanks

It seems like you're on the right track, but there are a few things that need to be corrected in your solution. Firstly, it's important to note that the maximum transverse speed is given as 18 m/s, not 80 m/s. This means that your value for ω should be 18 m/s divided by the amplitude, y_m, which is 0.042 m. This gives a value of ω = 428.57 s^-1.

Next, when solving for the frequency, you should use the given speed of 80 m/s, not the value for ω that you calculated. This gives a frequency of 0.0025 s^-1.

For the wavelength, you used the correct formula, but made a mistake in converting the units. The speed, v, is given in m/s, so you don't need to convert it. The frequency, however, is given in s^-1, so you need to convert it to Hz by dividing by 1 s. This gives a wavelength of 32000 m.

Finally, for the phase angle, you can use the given initial condition of t = 0 and x = 0 to solve for ϕ. Since the wave is moving in the positive direction of the x-axis, the phase angle should be 0.

Hope this helps!

Related to How Do You Calculate Wave Parameters for a Transverse Sinusoidal Wave?

1. What is a transverse wave?

A transverse wave is a type of wave in which the particles of the medium vibrate perpendicular to the direction of the wave's propagation. This means that the particles move up and down or side to side, rather than back and forth like in a longitudinal wave.

2. How does a transverse wave differ from a longitudinal wave?

In a longitudinal wave, the particles of the medium vibrate in the same direction as the wave's propagation. This means that the particles move back and forth, creating areas of compression and rarefaction. In a transverse wave, the particles move perpendicular to the direction of the wave's propagation, creating crests and troughs.

3. What are some examples of transverse waves?

Some examples of transverse waves include light waves, water waves, and seismic S-waves. In light waves, the electric and magnetic fields vibrate perpendicular to the direction of the wave's propagation. In water waves, the particles of water move up and down as the wave passes through. In S-waves, the particles of the ground move side to side as the wave travels through the Earth.

4. How are transverse waves created?

Transverse waves can be created by a variety of sources, such as an oscillating string, an earthquake, or an electromagnetic source. When a source creates a disturbance in a medium, it causes the particles of the medium to vibrate, producing a transverse wave.

5. What are some characteristics of transverse waves?

Some characteristics of transverse waves include wavelength, frequency, amplitude, and speed. The wavelength is the distance between two consecutive crests or troughs, and the frequency is the number of waves that pass a certain point in a given time. The amplitude is the maximum displacement of the particles from their resting position, and the speed is the rate at which the wave travels through the medium.