How Do You Calculate Velocity in Calculus-Based Physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 3kg box held up by a rope with negligible mass and the forces of tension and gravity acting on it. The rope's tension is represented by the function T(t) = (36N/s)*t and the box is at rest at t = 0. The question asks for the velocity at t = 1.0s and 3.0s. The attempted solution involves finding the acceleration of the box by dividing out the mass and using the formula a(t) = (2.2m/s^3)t - 9.8m/s^2. However, the correct answer is obtained by using the formula a(t) = (12m/s^2)t
student34

Homework Statement

A 3kg box is held up high in the air by a a rope with negligible mass. The rope's tension is depends on the function of time T(t) = (36N/s)*t. The box is at rest at t = 0. Only the forces tension and gravity act on this box.

a) What is the velocity at t = 1.0s?
b) What is the velocity at t = 3.0s?

Homework Equations

I think that my acceleration formula is the problem, but I don't know why.

a(t) = (2.2m/s^3)t - 9.8m/s^2 I took out the mass to get the box's acceleration and then I just broke up the applied acceleration from the constant gravitational acceleration.

v(t) = (1.1m/s^3)t^2 - (9.8m/s^2)t This is my integral of the acceleration.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) a(1s) = 1.1m/s - 9.8m/s = -8.7m/s but the book's answer is -3.8m/s.

I just can't grasp how I am wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you get 2.2 m/s^3 from 36 N/s?

voko said:
How did you get 2.2 m/s^3 from 36 N/s?

ƩFy = T - mg = ma; a = 12m/s^2 - 9.8m/s^2 = 2.2m/s^2, so I divided out the mass to get the box's acceleration of 12m/s^2. Then, I ...

Lol, ok, in my attempt to answer your question I see how it can work I can get the right answer. Thanks for asking :)

You are welcome :)

Your approach to finding the acceleration is correct, but your calculation for the velocity at t=1.0s is incorrect. The correct calculation should be:

v(1s) = (1.1m/s^3)(1s)^2 - (9.8m/s^2)(1s) = -8.7m/s

The book's answer of -3.8m/s is incorrect. The correct answer is -8.7m/s.

For part b), the velocity at t=3.0s can be calculated using the same formula:

v(3s) = (1.1m/s^3)(3s)^2 - (9.8m/s^2)(3s) = 19.6m/s

This means that at t=3.0s, the box will be moving downwards with a velocity of 19.6m/s.

It is important to note that the velocity and acceleration calculations will change if the mass of the box is taken into account. In this case, the acceleration formula would be a(t) = (36N/s)/m - 9.8m/s^2 and the velocity formula would be v(t) = (36N/s)t/m - (9.8m/s^2)t.

Related to How Do You Calculate Velocity in Calculus-Based Physics?

1. What is the difference between calculus-based physics and algebra-based physics?

Calculus-based physics involves using calculus to solve problems and understand concepts, while algebra-based physics relies on algebraic equations and concepts. Calculus-based physics is typically more advanced and is often required for engineering or other science-related majors.

2. How does calculus-based physics apply to real-world situations?

Calculus-based physics is used to accurately describe and predict the behavior of physical systems in the real world. It allows scientists and engineers to understand and analyze complex systems, such as motion, electricity, and magnetism.

3. What are some common applications of calculus-based physics?

Calculus-based physics is used in a wide range of fields, including engineering, astronomy, and medicine. Some common applications include designing structures, predicting the behavior of particles in space, and understanding the mechanics of the human body.

4. What are the prerequisites for studying calculus-based physics?

A strong foundation in algebra, geometry, and trigonometry is necessary for studying calculus-based physics. It is also helpful to have a basic understanding of calculus concepts, such as derivatives and integrals.

5. How can I improve my understanding of calculus-based physics?

Practice is key to improving your understanding of calculus-based physics. It is important to work through problems and examples to solidify your understanding of the concepts. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or joining a study group can also be beneficial.