How Do You Calculate V_D in Terms of Circuit Components and Constants?

In summary, the problem seems to be a two node or two loop problem with the constraint equation implied.
Rawl

Homework Statement

circuits.png

Trying to come up with an equation of V_D in terms [tex]R_S, R_d, R_D, V_i, G[/tex]

G is a constant

Homework Equations

Sum of voltages around a loop = 0
Sum of currents at a node = 0
Voltage divider
Current divider
Resistance of resistors in parallel

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]
V_i = V_D
[/tex]

I'm not exactly sure but if you probe with your voltmeter from the ground to the upper side of V_D and then do the same at the top of the current source. Wouldn't those be the only two components in a loop?

Attachments

• circuits.png
    circuits.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 394
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Rawl, :welcome:

Not good you didn't receive an adequate reply yet, so I'll give it a go. The red thingy to me seems to represent a current source, but you forgot to mention that. G is not just a constant, it has a dimension too !

My advice is to redraw the circuit: source at left, the resistors to the right. resistors in series clearly shown in series and parallels visually parallel. Insight will come in a flash !

oh and perhaps upside down to see the relation between VD and Vis ... :rolleyes:

Looks like a two node or two loop problem. Either way, two equations in two unknowns with the constraints implied by the ##V_{is}## constraint equation. Since ##V_i## is not specified on the given circuit diagram it presumably is some external value that is part of some other circuit.

Both mesh and nodal methods have their own small advantages here: Nodal analysis would allow you solve for ##V_D## directly and "access" to ##V_S## for applying the constraint, while mesh analysis gives you the current in the small loop as "already solved", since it contains a current source. About the same amount of algebra for each, I'd guess. So pick an analysis method and write some equations.

Related to How Do You Calculate V_D in Terms of Circuit Components and Constants?

1. What is V_D in a circuit?

V_D stands for voltage drop and it refers to the difference in electric potential between two points in a circuit.

2. How do you calculate V_D for a circuit?

V_D can be calculated by using Ohm's Law which states that V_D = I*R, where V_D is the voltage drop, I is the current flowing through the circuit, and R is the resistance of the circuit.

3. Why is it important to know V_D in a circuit?

V_D is important in circuit analysis as it helps to determine the amount of voltage that is being used or lost in a circuit. This information can be used to optimize circuit design and prevent damage to components.

4. What factors can affect V_D in a circuit?

V_D can be affected by various factors such as the type of material used for the conductors, the length of the circuit, and the temperature of the circuit.

5. Can V_D be negative in a circuit?

Yes, V_D can be negative in a circuit. This means that the voltage drop is in the opposite direction of the current flow, indicating a decrease in voltage rather than an increase.