How Do You Calculate Time Squared for a Falling Object?

In summary, according to the homework statement, at several instants in time, an apple falls to the ground and is measured vertically downward from the point of release. The table shows the position of the apple, in meters, at the various times. The apple falls at a constant speed, and the distance it travels at each instant is given. To find the time*time for each pair of (time,distance), the student should calculate the time*time for each pair and add them together.
Kristeng94

Homework Statement

You will learn a lot about the motion of falling objects in chapter two. At this time you do not have to make any measurements. This exercise is purely numerical. The following table shows the position of a falling apple, in meters, at several instants in time. The clock was started when the apple started to fall and the position is measured vertically downward from the point of release.
Time 0 Distance 0 I need to figure out Time^2 for each one of these.Time is in seconds and distance in meters. thank you.
Time 1 Distance 4.9
Time 2 Distance 19.6
Time 3 Distance 44.1
Time 4 Distance 78.4
Time 5 Distance 122.5

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You should show some attempt!(And in this particular case, I think as soon as you start, you get the answer!)

This is the last physics problem I have for homework tonight and have no idea what time ^2 means. Is that speed? I know speed is distance/time.

Kristeng94 said:
have no idea what time ^2 means
Oh...it just means square the number. If t=a, then t^2=a^2=a*a.

But what am I suppose to square? I have nothing in the Time ^2 box...

Kristeng94 said:
This is the last physics problem I have for homework tonight and have no idea what time ^2 means. Is that speed? I know speed is distance/time.
The apple fall for time t and traveled some distance. t^2 (or t2) is the square of the time. The distances are given, find t2 for each of them.
You know the formula for uniformly accelerating motion, how the distance traveled depends on time. What is it?

I honestly have no clue, can someone please do the first one besides 0 for me and explain it then I can probably get it.

I think I am over thinking this.

The time is unknown, but the distance is given. Calculate t2 from the appropriate formula. What is it? The falling apple performs uniformly accelerating motion. What did you learn about such motion?

This was my second class today, he gave us a packet that included this a diameter verus circumference exercise in it and the rope around the world what can fit under problem.

Do I need to figure out velocity?

No...you are given a number of (time,distance) pairs. You should calculate time*time for each pair.

So the answer for 1.0 would be 1? Then 2 would be 4?

Yeah, that's it!

You got to be kidding me... that seemed way to easy.

It is midnight where I am and have been trying to solve this all day long... Thank you so much.

The square is one right?

Kristeng94 said:
The square is one right?
The square of one is one, right!

Likes Kristeng94
He deleted his post now I look like an idiot...

Kristeng94 said:
He deleted his post now I look like an idiot...
No, I saw there was another post. I now realize you were answering to that. You don't look like an idiot.

I deleted the previous post as I saw that you solved the problem already. The square of the first time is 1, that is, (T 1)2 =1, so T 1 = ?
The square of the second time is (T 2)2 = 4, so T 2 = ?

and so on...

Have a good sleep! :)

Last edited:

Related to How Do You Calculate Time Squared for a Falling Object?

1. What is the formula for calculating the velocity of a falling object?

The formula for calculating the velocity of a falling object is v = gt, where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time in seconds.

2. How do I determine the height of a falling object using data?

To determine the height of a falling object, you can use the equation h = 1/2gt^2, where h is the height, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time in seconds. You will need to know the initial velocity and the final velocity of the object.

3. How do I collect accurate data on a falling object?

To collect accurate data on a falling object, it is important to use precise equipment such as a stopwatch or a motion sensor. You should also ensure that the object is dropped from a consistent height and that there are no external factors (such as wind) affecting the fall.

4. What are some possible sources of error when collecting data on a falling object?

Some possible sources of error when collecting data on a falling object include human error in timing the fall, inconsistencies in the height of the drop, and external factors such as air resistance or wind affecting the fall. It is important to control these variables as much as possible to ensure accurate data.

5. Can I use the same data for different falling objects?

No, you cannot use the same data for different falling objects. Each object will have its own mass and shape, which will affect its acceleration due to gravity and velocity. Therefore, the data collected for one falling object cannot be applied to another object.