How Do You Calculate Time from Angular Velocity and Arc Length?

In summary, the radius of the circle traced out by the second hand on a clock is 6.00 cm. To determine the value of t in seconds, the formula s=θr can be used, where s is the arc length and r is the radius. To find the average angular velocity, the formula w=θ/T can be used, where θ is the angular distance and T is the time for a full revolution (60 seconds). Using this average angular velocity, the time t for a specific distance (arc length) can be found using the formula v=wr and solving for t. Another way to solve this problem is by considering the tip of the second hand and using the formula v=d/t, where d is
Lfrizz
The radius of the circle traced out by the second hand on a clock is 6.00 cm. In a time t the tip of the second hand moves through an arc length of 19.0 cm. Determine the value of t in seconds.

Ok, so I know how to find θ: s/r. And I know that Angular Velocity is θ/Δt. I am confused on how I get the angular velocity so I can find the change in time. Also, do I need to convert anytihng into radians, or is it already in radians since it's the RADIUS of the circle... I feel really dumb asking this since I know it is so simple, but I am confused.

Thanks.
Leah

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I might be on to something...

the t for the entire radius should be 60 seconds... so would I divide .06m/60s to get the avg. angular velocity? Then I could use that with the theta I find for the arc length of .19m to find the time for that distance?

Lfrizz said:
I think I might be on to something...

the t for the entire radius should be 60 seconds... so would I divide .06m/60s to get the avg. angular velocity? Then I could use that with the theta I find for the arc length of .19m to find the time for that distance?

Your initial thinking was correct but you proceeded wrongly ...

T = 60s is time when it has covered a full revolution ... what do you think will be θ for that??

then use w = θ/T

I think it would = 2[tex]\pi[/tex]r.

So... I will use the formula w = θ/T
Where [tex]\theta[/tex]= 2[tex]\pi[/tex]r and r=0.19m
divided by T=60s
to find omega [tex]\omega[/tex] (I'm still trying to get familiar with the little reference list on the side, I'm going blind)

Then I use this Omega with the theta I found above and find the new time?

I messed up. r=.06 not 0.19.

θ is angular distance ... it must be in radians

if your distance traveled about some point is 2πr ... then angular distance is 2π

remember s=θr ?

I'm still confused how I find the T of just that one small portion of the rotation. Sorry if I seem dense, I read to much into these problems. And thank you for your help!

T for the second hand to make an entire rotation is 60 sec
the radius of the entire rotation is .06m
the arc length is .19m
... [tex]\theta[/tex] = .19/.06= 3.16 radians

I'm not sure where the 60 seconds comes in now. I have thoroughly confused myself with this basic problem.

I think I might get what your saying...

2[tex]\pi[/tex]/60 would give me [tex]\omega[/tex]

then I can plug in 3.16 from my previous post for [tex]\theta[/tex] and solve for T ?

It says I got it right... Wow Thanks!
[tex]\omega[/tex]=2[tex]\pi[/tex]/60sec = .105
w = θ/T
.105=3.16/T
T= 30.09

THANK YOU!

Lfrizz said:
2[tex]\pi[/tex]/60 would give me [tex]\omega[/tex]

Yes

and for a complete rotation you know arc length(s) is 2πr (r is radius)

so θ = s/r = 2πr/r = 2π (which is 3.14)

then use the w to find speed(v) of tip hand

v = wr

then find t using v

there is a simpler way of doing this problem but as you started with w so i told you how to solve using w

What is the easier way? lol

ok ... so let radius is R
and distance traveled is d

consider tip of second hand ...
lets find its speed

v = d/t

so v = 2πR / (60 sec)

v found

now you have distance .19

so .19 = v * (trequired)

that makes more sense.

Related to How Do You Calculate Time from Angular Velocity and Arc Length?

1. What is basic angular velocity?

Basic angular velocity is a measure of the rate of change of angular displacement over time. It is a key concept in the field of kinematics, which studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. How is basic angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Basic angular velocity is a measure of rotational motion, while linear velocity is a measure of straight-line motion. In other words, basic angular velocity is the speed at which an object is rotating, while linear velocity is the speed at which an object is moving in a straight line.

3. What are the units of basic angular velocity?

Basic angular velocity is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (deg/s). However, other units such as revolutions per minute (rpm) or rotations per second (rps) may also be used.

4. How is basic angular velocity calculated?

Basic angular velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. The formula for basic angular velocity is ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is the angular velocity, Δθ is the change in angular displacement, and Δt is the change in time.

5. What are some real-world examples of basic angular velocity?

Basic angular velocity can be observed in everyday activities such as spinning a top, swinging a pendulum, or riding a bicycle. It is also important in fields such as engineering, where it is used to analyze the motion of rotating machinery, and astronomy, where it is used to study the rotation of planets and galaxies.