How Do You Calculate the X-Coordinate in Circular Motion?

In summary, the conversation is about a homework question involving circular motion and converting between rectangular and polar coordinates. The person asking for help is having trouble with the last question of their assignment and is seeking guidance. The conversation includes a reminder to post homework questions in the appropriate forum and a helpful link to a Wikipedia page for more information on converting between coordinate systems.
blimkie
Im having a bit of trouble on the last question of my assignment...

The circular motion of a particle in the x-y plane is given by the equations: r(t) = 7.23 m, θ(t) = (6.33 rad/s)t, where r is the distance from the origin and θ is the polar angle measured counterclockwise from the positive x-axis. Calculate the x-coordinate of the particle at time t = 2.50 s.

ayone have any hints, care to point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework questions should be posted in the homework forums, not in the general forums.

Having said that, are you familiar with converting between rectangular (x,y) coordinates and polar (r,theta) coordinates? You have the equation of motion of the particle in polar coordinates, so calculate the position (r,theta) at t=2.5s, and convert to polar coordinates to provide the answer requested.

No I am not familiar with converting between rectangular coordinates and polar coordinates this is all new to me.

Sorry about posting in the wrong forum.

Related to How Do You Calculate the X-Coordinate in Circular Motion?

1. What topics are covered in first year university physics?

First year university physics typically covers topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, and waves and optics. This may vary slightly depending on the university and specific course.

2. Do I need a strong math background to succeed in first year university physics?

Yes, a strong foundation in math is crucial for understanding and solving problems in first year university physics. It is recommended to have completed at least high school level math courses such as algebra, trigonometry, and calculus.

3. What kind of skills will I develop in first year university physics?

First year university physics will help you develop critical thinking skills, problem-solving skills, and the ability to think abstractly. You will also improve your mathematical and analytical skills through solving complex physics problems.

4. Is first year university physics difficult?

This may vary depending on the individual's strengths and interests. However, first year university physics can be challenging and requires a lot of hard work and dedication. It is important to attend lectures, complete assignments, and seek help when needed to succeed in this course.

5. What career paths can I pursue with a degree in physics?

A degree in physics can lead to various career opportunities in fields such as research, engineering, education, and healthcare. Some specific career paths include aerospace engineer, data analyst, medical physicist, and science teacher.