How Do You Calculate the Velocity of Wreckage After a Head-On Collision?

In summary, the problem involves a head-on collision between two vehicles, one with a mass of 1245kg traveling southward at 20.0m/s and the other with a mass of 910kg traveling northward at 26.0m/s. The question is asking for the velocity of the tangled wreckage. Using the equation vf= ma1va1+mb2vb2/ma+mb and considering the direction of motion, the correct answer is 0.58 m/s.
Chica1975

Homework Statement

2 vehicles made a totally inelastic head-on collision on the highway. Vehicle 1 of mass 1245kg was traveling southward at 20.0m/s. Vehicle 2 of mass 910kg was traveling northward at 26.0m/s. what was the velocity of the tangled wreckage?

Homework Equations

vf= ma1va1+mb2vb2/ma+mb

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged in the information as per the equation above, however, I keep getting a different answer to that of my lecturer - I get 22.5336 m/s
The correct answer is 0.58 m/s

PLEASE HELP WHERE AM I GOING WRONG?

Physics news on Phys.org
you have to take into consideration the direction of their velocity. You did everything right but did not take into account their direction of motion. I used what you gave and i got your lecture answer

Related to How Do You Calculate the Velocity of Wreckage After a Head-On Collision?

1. What is an inelastic linear collision?

An inelastic linear collision is a type of collision where two objects collide and stick together, resulting in a decrease in kinetic energy. This is different from an elastic collision, where the objects bounce off each other and maintain their kinetic energy.

2. How is the momentum conserved in an inelastic linear collision?

In an inelastic linear collision, the total momentum of the system is conserved. This means that the sum of the momentums of the two objects before the collision is equal to the sum of their momentums after the collision.

3. What factors affect the amount of kinetic energy lost in an inelastic linear collision?

The amount of kinetic energy lost in an inelastic linear collision depends on the materials and masses of the objects involved, as well as the angle and speed at which they collide. Objects with higher mass and velocity will typically lose more kinetic energy in a collision.

4. Can an inelastic linear collision be partially elastic?

Yes, an inelastic linear collision can be partially elastic, meaning that some kinetic energy is conserved and some is lost. This can occur if the objects do not stick together completely after the collision, but still experience some decrease in velocity and kinetic energy.

5. How is an inelastic linear collision different from a completely inelastic collision?

In a completely inelastic collision, the two objects stick together and move as one object after the collision. This is different from an inelastic linear collision, where the objects may stick together but do not necessarily move in a straight line together. In some cases, the objects may also bounce off each other after the collision in an inelastic linear collision.