How Do You Calculate the Velocity of a Rocket Facing Air Resistance Over Time?

In summary, the problem involves a rocket ascending in Earth's gravitational field with exhaust being ejected at a constant speed and the rocket being slowed down by air resistance. The velocity of the rocket can be found by solving a differential equation and the time at which the velocity is half of the terminal velocity can be calculated using given data.
kraigandrews

Homework Statement

A rocket ascends from rest in Earth's gravitational field, by ejecting exhaust with constant speed u. Assume that the rate at which mass is expelled is given by dm/dt = −γm where m is the instantaneous mass of the rocket and γ is a constant; and that the rocket is retarded by air resistance with a force mbv where b is a constant.
Determine the velocity of the rocket as a function of time. Here is a hint: The terminal velocity is ( γu−g )/b.

Calculate the time when the velocity is one-half of the terminal velocity.
Data: u = 31.9 m/s; b = 1.2 s−1.

Homework Equations

dp/dt=m(dv/dt)

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the diff eq down to:

dv=-u(dm/m)-(g+bv)dt

I'm not quite sure what I am doing wrong, I divide by -(g+bv)
then solve from there to get -b*ln(g+bv)=uγt, but for some reason I don't think this is correct. Help, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do we take into account the fact that [itex]F_g = GMm/x^2[/itex] changes as the rocket goes higher, or are we assuming a constant [itex]F_g = mg[/itex]?

assume Fg= -mg

Alright. It's not working out for you because you have misapplied Newton's law: [itex]F = \frac{dp}{dt} = \frac{d}{dt}(mv) = m\frac{dv}{dt} + v\frac{dm}{dt}[/itex] by the product rule. Usually, m is constant, so dm/dt = 0, but in this case, dm/dt is given to be -γm.

Also, what is the net force on the rocket?

Fnet=-mg-mbv
so dp/dt=F gives you :
(-mg-mbv)dt=mdv+udm
then,
dv=uγ-(g+bv)dt

that's right I just don't know how i keep messing up on solving the diff eq

Related to How Do You Calculate the Velocity of a Rocket Facing Air Resistance Over Time?

What is a rocket with retarding force?

A rocket with retarding force is a type of rocket that is designed to slow down or decelerate instead of accelerating. This is usually achieved by using a braking system or by directing the rocket's exhaust in the opposite direction of its motion.

How does a rocket with retarding force work?

A rocket with retarding force works by using a braking system or by directing the rocket's exhaust in the opposite direction of its motion. This creates a force that acts in the opposite direction of the rocket's motion, causing it to slow down or decelerate.

What are some examples of rockets with retarding force?

Some examples of rockets with retarding force include spacecraft that use retro rockets to slow down and enter orbit around a planet, and landing modules that use parachutes to decelerate before landing on a surface.

What are the advantages of using a rocket with retarding force?

The main advantage of using a rocket with retarding force is that it allows for controlled deceleration, which is necessary for maneuvers such as entering orbit or landing on a surface. This can also help conserve fuel and reduce the risk of damage to the rocket or its payload.

Are there any disadvantages to using a rocket with retarding force?

One potential disadvantage of using a rocket with retarding force is that it adds additional weight and complexity to the rocket's design. This can make it more expensive and difficult to launch. Additionally, using a rocket with retarding force may limit the maximum speed that the rocket can achieve.