How Do You Calculate the Total Moments for Various Points on a Beam?

• Thread starter lemon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moments
In summary: I apologize for that.In summary, the forces on the thin beam shown in the attached file are:-Anit-clockwise moments = 9N-Clockwise moments = 10N-There is a force of 50cos(45)+5N=26.3+5=31.3N to the right.
lemon
1. Calculate the total moment of the forces on the thin beam shown in the attached file, about each of the points A, B, C, D, E.
Each of the distances AB, BC, CD, DE is 1m.

2.Clockwise moments = Anit-clockwise moments

3.(Axd)+(Exd)+[50sin(45)]=(20xd)+25
20+20+42.5=20+25
82.5=45
=37.5N in the upwards direction
There is also a force of 50cos(45)+5N=26.3+5=31.3N to the right

I have a sinking feeling about my method here
Please advise?

Attachments

• rod1.jpg
    rod1.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 1,872
Physics news on Phys.org
I am uploading a new image with this problem reconsidered:
I didn't take into account that the force needs to be multiplied by the "perpendicular" distance from the point.
So If I have calculated this correctly:
Drawing my line of force I get a (45°, 45°, 90°) triangle.

sinx=hypotenuse/1
=√2/2

FD√2/2x50N=35.4N (2s.f.)

I now have to work out how to take the total moment of the forces

Attachments

• perp.distance023.jpg
    perp.distance023.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 806
To calculate the total moments of the forces on the beam, do I just add and subtract to see what the resultant force is?

10N-20N-25N+35.4N+10N=10.4N

There is also a 5N east. Not sure what to do with this:confused:

So if I have a resultant force of 10.4N in the upwards direction, and I also have a force in the due east direction, do I just need to find the resultant of these forces?

c2=a2+b2
c2=10.42+52
=11.5 (3s.f.), North of east

Forget resultant forces, keep it simple. And you are confusing Force (in Newtons) with moments (in Newton-meters) . Break up the force applied at an angle (the 50 N force)into its x and y components. Then the moment of each force about the given point is the y component of that force times the perpendicular distance of that force to the point. Add each one up to get the total moment. Note that forces or force components in the x direction do not produce any moments about the points, because there is no perpendicular moment 'arm' distance. Also, when you reply to your own posts before someone has had a chance to respond, you stand a good chance of your question being ignored, since helpers think that someone else is responding and helping. Good thing I was watching..o:)

Also, when you reply to your own posts before someone has had a chance to respond, you stand a good chance of your question being ignored, since helpers think that someone else is responding and helping. Good thing I was watching..

Yeah it's difficult. Thanks. I have so much work to get through so I'm kinda working my way through a lot of questions at the same time here, as the response is not immediate, of course. I'm new to physics too, so I'm really on uneasy ground with what I'm doing and finding it hard and confusing. When looking further into a question and realizing I have done things the wrong way I immediately want to change here as not to waste anyones time.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Total Moments for Various Points on a Beam?

1. What is the definition of moment in physics?

The moment in physics refers to the turning effect of a force around a pivot point or axis. It is also known as torque and is measured in Newton-meters (Nm) in the SI system.

2. How do you calculate the total moment of a system?

The total moment of a system is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the pivot point or axis. This can be represented as M = F x d, where M is the moment, F is the force, and d is the distance.

3. Can you have a negative total moment?

Yes, a negative total moment can occur when the force applied is in the opposite direction of the distance from the pivot point or axis. This means that the turning effect of the force is in the opposite direction of the desired motion.

4. What is the unit of measurement for moment?

The unit of measurement for moment is Newton-meters (Nm) in the SI system. It can also be measured in foot-pounds (ft-lb) in the imperial system.

5. How is the concept of moment used in real-life applications?

The concept of moment is used in various real-life applications, such as engineering, construction, and mechanics. It is important in designing structures and machines to ensure stability and proper functioning. Moments are also used in physics to understand the balance and motion of objects.