How Do You Calculate the Slope to Intercept a Moving Point?

• MHB
  • Thread starter AlienNova
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Slope Speed
In summary, the conversation was about finding the slope between two points when one point is moving in a set direction with a set speed. The person asking the question was struggling to explain their question and provided an analogy of talking to someone while walking towards them. The responder suggested using parametric equations to calculate the slope, using the slope of the trajectory of the moving object and the x and y coordinates of its starting position. An example was also provided to better illustrate the concept.
AlienNova
Sorry for the very confusing title, I couldn't think of a different way to better explain my question shortly. Also please bare with me, I find this very hard to explain.

So I'm trying to find the slope between two points when one point is moving in a set direction with a set speed. Confused? I'm not the best with words.

Okay, so normally to find the slope of two points you use the simple formula (y2 - y1)/(x2 - x1). That's the quickest way to intersect a point (Now on going to be called point A) if point A is stationary. But what if point A is moving (In a set direction, not turning)?

Say point A is a someone you want to talk to, and they're walking. When walking to them you don't walk straight at them, you walk to a point where your two paths will cross at the same time. My question is how do you find the slope you decided to walk?

Hopefully that didn't just make things more complicated to understand. Any help will be appreciated!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You could use parametric equations, if you have enough data.
Say the slope of the path of the moving object is 1. Then
x(t) = t + c and y(t) = t + d, where c and d are the starting
x and y coordinates, respectively. So you'd need to know
the slope of the trajectory of the moving object and the x and y
coordinates of its starting position.

Another example: Slope 3/2, (time, t, in seconds) and a starting position of (3, 2):

x(t) = 2t + 3, y(t) = 3t + 2.

For your problem you may then compute (y2 - y(t))/(x2 - x(t)).

Last edited:
Thank you so much, it took me a couple read throughs but I understand it now!

Related to How Do You Calculate the Slope to Intercept a Moving Point?

What is the formula for finding the slope of a speed graph?

The formula for finding the slope of a speed graph is slope = change in speed / change in time. This can also be written as m = Δy / Δx, where m represents the slope, Δy represents the change in speed, and Δx represents the change in time.

How do you interpret the slope of a speed graph?

The slope of a speed graph represents the rate of change of speed over time. A positive slope indicates an increase in speed, while a negative slope indicates a decrease in speed. A slope of 0 indicates a constant speed. The steeper the slope, the greater the rate of change in speed.

Can the slope of a speed graph be negative?

Yes, the slope of a speed graph can be negative. A negative slope indicates a decrease in speed over time, or a deceleration. This is commonly seen in graphs representing objects slowing down due to friction or other external forces.

How do you calculate the slope of a speed graph from given data points?

To calculate the slope of a speed graph from given data points, you first need to identify two points on the graph. Then, using the formula slope = change in speed / change in time, you can find the difference in speed between the two points and divide it by the difference in time. This will give you the slope of the graph at that particular point.

Are there any other ways to represent the slope of a speed graph?

Yes, there are other ways to represent the slope of a speed graph. One way is using the slope-intercept form, which is written as y = mx + b, where m represents the slope and b represents the y-intercept. Another way is using the point-slope form, which is written as y - y1 = m(x - x1), where m represents the slope and (x1, y1) represents a point on the graph.