How Do You Calculate the Shortest Flight Path Between Two Points on the Globe?

In summary, a fan traveled from Mosselbaai, South Africa to Sydney, Australia for the 2000 Summer Olympics. The smallest angular distance the fan had to travel was 129 degrees, as the two cities are located at the same latitude but different longitudes. To determine the approximate shortest flight distance of 33,258 kilometers, the circumference of the Earth at the parallel of latitude (34 degrees South) must be found and the distance is calculated along a great circle route.
TheBestMiller

Homework Statement

To attend the 2000 Summer Olympics, a fan flew from Mosselbaai, South Africa (34S, 22E) to Sydney, Australia (34S, 151E). (a) What is the smallest angular distance the fan has to travel: (1) 34 degrees (2) 12 degrees (3) 117 degrees (4) 129 degrees? Why?
(b) Determine the approximate shortest flight distance, in kilometers.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Am I just adding the vectors of the east directions? I assumed that when it asked for the quantity in angular distance that I needed to change the Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates, and I do realize I will need to convert to radians and use S=r(theta) to solve part b, correct?

Any help or guidance at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
TheBestMiller said:

Homework Statement

To attend the 2000 Summer Olympics, a fan flew from Mosselbaai, South Africa (34S, 22E) to Sydney, Australia (34S, 151E). (a) What is the smallest angular distance the fan has to travel: (1) 34 degrees (2) 12 degrees (3) 117 degrees (4) 129 degrees? Why?
(b) Determine the approximate shortest flight distance, in kilometers.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Am I just adding the vectors of the east directions?

Why are you adding?

I assumed that when it asked for the quantity in angular distance that I needed to change the Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates, and I do realize I will need to convert to radians and use S=r(theta) to solve part b, correct?

Strictly speaking, geographic positions (i.e., latitude and longitude) are not cartesian coordinates. They are a special means of specifying a location on the surface of a sphere.

In order to determine the distance flown, you will need to find the circumference of the Earth at the parallel of latitude on which the flight was taken, in this case 34 degrees South.

SteamKing said:
In order to determine the distance flown, you will need to find the circumference of the Earth at the parallel of latitude on which the flight was taken, in this case 34 degrees South.
This wasn't provided in the prompt, but outside resources tell me it is 33258 kilometers.

SteamKing said:
Why are you adding?
Ahhh I meant subtraction, silly mistake.

SteamKing said:
Not so. That would simply produce the difference of the longitudes. The shortest distance is along a great circle. That will dip further south than 34S along the way.
TheBestMiller, consider a slice through the Earth, perpendicular to the NS axis, at 34S. You know the angle the endpoints subtend to the centre of that circle. What is the radius of the circle? How far apart, in a straight line through the earth, are the endpoints?

TheBestMiller said:
This wasn't provided in the prompt, but outside resources tell me it is 33258 kilometers.
That's approximately correct. (How could you verify this figure, knowing only the average radius of the earth, or 6371 km?)

What's the distance of the flight taken from SA to Oz then?

haruspex said:
Not so. That would simply produce the difference of the longitudes. The shortest distance is along a great circle. That will dip further south than 34S along the way.
TheBestMiller, consider a slice through the Earth, perpendicular to the NS axis, at 34S. You know the angle the endpoints subtend to the centre of that circle. What is the radius of the circle? How far apart, in a straight line through the earth, are the endpoints?

Well R=√x^2 + y^2 correct? In that case the radius for point 1 would be approximately 40.5 and point 2 would be 154.8. Would I then set up a triangle with the radii and use Pythagorean theorem for the distance, in a straight line, between the two points?

SteamKing said:
That's approximately correct. (How could you verify this figure, knowing only the average radius of the earth, or 6371 km?)

What's the distance of the flight taken from SA to Oz then?
It would have to be an arc length because the Earth is a sphere. So I would use S=r(theta)?

TheBestMiller said:
Well R=√x^2 + y^2 correct? In that case the radius for point 1 would be approximately 40.5 and point 2 would be 154.8. Would I then set up a triangle with the radii and use Pythagorean theorem for the distance, in a straight line, between the two points?

It's not clear what you are calculating here. The geographic positions of the two cities in SA and Oz are given in latitude, longitude format, both of which parts are measured in degrees. You can't treat these geographic coordinates like they were cartesian coordinates.

SteamKing said:
It's not clear what you are calculating here. The geographic positions of the two cities in SA and Oz are given in latitude, longitude format, both of which parts are measured in degrees. You can't treat these geographic coordinates like they were cartesian coordinates.
Ahhhh alright, that makes things much more clear.

TheBestMiller said:
I'm not sure what you're doing there, maybe you misunderstood.
Let the endpoints be A, B and the centre of the Earth be O. Poles are N and S. Let P be the point on the line NOS at the latitude of A and B, i.e. APO and BPO are right angles.
Draw a circle containing NOPS and A. What is the distance AP? What is the angle APB? So what is the distance AB?

Haruspex mentioned Great Circle. Google it and make sure you understand the concept. It will make answering the problem a lot easier!

Related to How Do You Calculate the Shortest Flight Path Between Two Points on the Globe?

1. What is Angular Displacement?

Angular displacement is a measure of the rotation of an object from its initial position to its final position. It is usually measured in radians or degrees.

2. How is Angular Displacement different from Linear Displacement?

Angular displacement measures the rotation of an object, while linear displacement measures the distance an object has moved in a straight line. Angular displacement is also a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, whereas linear displacement is a scalar quantity with only magnitude.

3. What are some common units for Angular Displacement?

Radians and degrees are the most common units for angular displacement. However, other units such as revolutions or cycles can also be used.

4. What is the difference between Angular Displacement and Angular Velocity?

Angular velocity measures the rate of change of angular displacement over time. In other words, it measures how quickly an object is rotating. Angular displacement, on the other hand, is the actual change in rotation of an object.

5. How can I calculate Angular Displacement?

To calculate angular displacement, you need to know the initial and final positions of the rotating object, as well as the radius of the circle it is rotating around. You can then use the formula: angular displacement = arc length / radius. Alternatively, if you know the initial and final angular velocities and the time taken, you can use the formula: angular displacement = (initial angular velocity + final angular velocity) / 2 * time.